[J24 ListSrv] Sailing Event for Disabled Vets July 20

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 15:51:03 CDT 2011

Hello

We need volunteers to help with an evening of sailing for disabled veterans
and their families as part of Operation Liberty.  The event will take place
on Wednesday, July 20 from 4 to 9 PM   Operation Liberty is a Department of
Defense and Paralympics initiative to help disabled veterans become more
involved in sports.  Many of the participants will be paraplegics and
quadriplegics.  Right now we have seven people who have voiced an interest.
Some of them sailed before they became disabled.

As you know, sailing sells itself.  We hope that a number of people will
catch fire and become certifiable crazies like the rest of us.  They will
become a nucleus of a disabled sailing program.

The details of the event are:

.         Arrive at 4:00 PM and go sailing

.         Return to the docks around 6:00 PM for dinner

.         Go sailing again after dinner

.         Return and finish around 8:30

Some of these people will be sufficiently disabled that we will need to use
a sling and the gin pole to get them into and out of the boat.  We will need
people to help with that as well as to skipper and crew boats.

We also need to create some adaptive equipment for the boats we will be
using.  If you have creative building skills we need your help for that
also.

If you are interested in helping, please reply to this email and answer the
following

______ I can provide a boat

______ I can be a skipper

______ I can be a crew

______ I can help with loading people into boats and doing dinner

______ I can help build adaptive equipment

Thank you for your interest.  I know we can provide a great sailing
experience for these people.

Ernest Brody