[J24 ListSrv] FW: U.S. J/24 Class Update

Tim Oelschlager tim.oelschlager at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 16 17:34:42 CDT 2012

                        U.S. J/24 Class Association Update

                        From the Class President Kelly Holmes-Moon

                        I am pleased to announce that Christopher Howell has
been hired as Executive Director of the USJCA and IJCA. He is the president
of One Design Association Management and, along with his wife Julie, has
been managing the J/22 Class Association since 2000 and the J/105 Class
Association since 2008. Chris is a Certified Association Executive (CAE),
bringing both sailing knowledge and an association background to our Class.
Chris will be very active with our members during our busy Fall, including
the J/24 Worlds in September and the J/24 North American Championship in
November. Our current agreement with Chris is slated through the end of the
year in order to allow time for the Class to study the position and better
determine the future course. In the meantime, the Class contact information
such as phone number (512-266-0033) and e-mail address
(director at j24class.org) are unchanged. Please feel free to contact Chris
anytime with questions or concerns.

                        John Mollicone wins U.S. National Championship at
the World's Highest Yacht Club

                        June 24-30 in Dillon, Colorado

                        Report from Todd Warnygora: The 2012 J/24 Nationals
were held at the highest yacht club in the county, Dillon Yacht Club in
Colorado. This is the first time the regatta has ever been held in this
location and overall the venue proved to be a success. The facilities,
regatta staff, and the Lake Dillon did their best to provide a worthy stage
for a national regatta.

                        We started off the week with a sailing clinic held
by Chris Snow, Andrew Kerr and Chuck Allen from North Sails. The clinic was
kicked off by a 2-hour presentation that was interrupted briefly by 25 knots
of wind and rain. Upon moving inside, the weather changed back to its normal
clear skies and 65 degree temperatures for a beautiful sunset. The
on-the-water clinic took place the next day for another 2 hours with the
North team running around in the Apex chase boat coaching on-boat handling,
starting tactics and general J/24 tips. In the end, we recapped back onshore
for an hour over cocktails.

                        Sailing conditions on Lake Dillon held up to the
mountain reputation. We had conditions ranging from hail and 55 degrees to
sunny skies and 85 degree temperatures. The drill on most days was to start
in shorts and t-shirts, going to full foul weather gear, and ending back in
shorts and t-shirts to end the day. Winds were about the same as the
temperature patterns. The winds were very typical of lake sailing conditions
with lots of land influences and 'oh yah' completely random unexplained
mountain shifts. Wind velocity was light to heavy with a few surfing
downwind adventures. Competitors were treated to three great meals over the
course of the races. Quantum Sails sponsored one of the meals, provided
registration sail bag packets, and sail bag gifts to our race committee.
Overall the days ended with competitors, friends and family gathered to
enjoy sunsets in the mountains, Odell's 90 schilling and IPA on tap to help
explain and re-tell their mountain sailing adventures.

                        The results for the regatta ended as we would expect
with team Quantum (John Mollicone), 3 Big Dogs (Pat Toole), and Bogus (Chris
Snow) placing in the top three spots. What we might not have expected is
three Colorado locals finishing in the next three spots - Fly Mo J,
Pinotage, and Dumpster all with legitimate shots at the top three.
Ultimately the best sailors made their way through the pack to claim some of
the top places.

                        Overall the regatta was a success. We, the Dillon
Yacht Club and J/24 District 18, received many accolades for both venue and
sailing on Lake Dillon. Though there might have been a few more for how
beautiful the Colorado location was for the event. We would like to thank
all the competitors for coming up to Lake Dillon for the J/24 Nationals.

                        Final results at: http://www.j24nationals.com/

                        Finalize Your Plans for the 2012 World Championship

                        2012 J/24 World Championship
                        September 13-21, 2012
                        Rochester Yacht Club, Rochester, NY

                        Worlds are only 2 months away and it's time to
finalize plans. Begin by visiting our website or contacting our regatta
management team. We will get you registered and setup. You can even register
today without making payment until August 1.

                        LODGING
                        There are great lodging options available for you
and your crew, but remember the best options will go fast, so don't delay.
Camping will be allowed on the club grounds with prior approval and if you
are RVing, please call ahead to make arrangements.

                        NEW SPONSORS
                        A special thanks to Coral Reefing Sailing Apparel
for signing on as the regatta's official clothing sponsor. Make sure to
visit their website for J/24 Worlds apparel. Rest assure that all your
rigging needs will be taken care of during Worlds, thanks to Waterline
Systems as the regattas rigging sponsor. Waterline will be supplying full
rigging/parts services, have a trailer onsite and will be providing
complimentary measurement work assistance as well.

                        CHARTER
                        If you are considering chartering a boat, we have a
dozen boats available and ready to go. Visit our website or contact our
regatta management team for charter information. If you own a boat and are
planning to sail with another team, we are offering $200 (USD) if you
charter your boat to another team. You just have to prove that you are
chartering your boat to another team and that you are racing on another
boat. This offer is NOT transferable.

                        WINNER
                        Congratulations to Aidan Glackin from Mental Floss
USA 5257, the winner of our VIP Measurement Pass. The VIPMP will allow their
boat to go to the head of the line when your boat is ready to be measured
and you're free to chillax!

                        Finalize planning now, the Worlds will be here
before you know it! And let us know if we can help you in any way possible!
Thanks and see you in September.

                        Regards,
                        Regatta Chairman

                        For additional regatta information contact:
                        Kristofer Werner
                        Co-Chairman
                        chair at 2012j24worlds.com

                        Lambert Lai
                        Regatta Co-Chairman
                        chair at 2012j24worlds.com

                        2012 North American Championship NOR has been posted

                        The NOR for the 2012 NAC has been posted, and
registration is now open.  Merrill Lynch/Bank of America will serve as the
2012 North American Championship title sponsor. The racing will take place
on the St. Johns River, in the shadow of downtown Jacksonville, just outside
of the historic Florida Yacht Club from November 14-17, and will attract
some of the sport's best talent from the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

                        J/24 Fleet 55 and the Florida Yacht Club have hosted
top J/24 competitions in the past. In 2007, J/24 sailors were welcomed by
fresh breezes and ideal, yet challenging, sailing conditions on the St.
Johns for the 2007 U.S. National Championship regatta. Tim Monahan chaired
that event, and will serve the same role for the 2012 North Americans.

                        Founded in 1876 and located on the St. John's River,
the Florida Yacht Club has hosted many championship level regattas in its
110+ year history. For more information including how to register for the
2012 Merrill Lynch/Bank of America J/24 North American Championship regatta,
visit www.J24northamericans2012.com.

                        Mollicone Edges Out Competition at J/24 Northeast
Regional Championship

                        Over 700 sailors from 17 states descended on Sail
Newport to race in The Newport Regatta featuring BACARDI Newport Sailing
Week Presented by EFG Bank. Organizers set up four courses to handle the 259
boats in 20 classes, with 181 races taking place over three days, July
13-15. Marking its 28th year of competition, the Newport Regatta has become
one of the largest multi-class events on the east coast.

                        Rhode Island's John Mollicone, recent winner of the
2012 J/24 US National Championship, added the Northeast Regional
Championship title to his sailing resume with his win in the 27-strong J/24
fleet. He narrowly edged out Will Welles by just 1 point. Mike's Ingham's
11th Hour Racing came in third. Complete results may be found at
https://sailnewport.worldsecuresystems.com/regattas/newportRegatta/index.htm
l.

                        This regatta was a qualifying event for the 2013
World Championship in Ireland and is the site of the 2014 World
Championship.

                        J/24 Western Regional Championship in San Francisco

                        The regatta will be August 4-5 at the venerable
Berkeley Yacht Club. We are combining the TMC District 20 Championship
together with the Western Regionals to create a solid and competitive
regatta. Come and see what San Francisco Bay Area sailing is all about.

                        You want breeze? We've got breeze! Need to shake out
the travel bugs before the Worlds? We offer you a great competition. Want to
explore the Bay Area before the Americas Cup boats take over the region?
Here we are. Make a week of it? Napa, Sonoma, San Francisco, Point Reyes are
all nearby. Bring the Family.

                        Online registration and more information is
available here: http://www.j24westernregionals.com/

                        J/24 District 2 Championship in Marion, Mass

                        During the same weekend over on the other coast, the
District 2 Championship will be underway at the Beverly Yacht Club in
Marion, Massachusetts from August 3-5. Enjoy the beautiful area along
Buzzards Bay, which is also the site of the 2014 J/24 U.S. National
Championship. For information on the event, contact Craig Correia at
508-380-4673 or info at j24fleet16.com. And check out the regatta website at
www.buzzardsbayregatta.com.

                        Join this Email List

                        If you know of someone who would like to be included
on this list, send them this link and they can register. Sign up today:
http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=0015T7LEWQpdWGOnruT
VVZ8cg%3D%3D

                        2012 J/24 Membership Available Now!

                        2012 U.S. J/24 Class membership is available online.
Visit our website now to renew your membership so you can be ready for our
big fall season ahead. As usual, we have a nice wall calendar available with
some great shots of J/24 sailing from the past year shot by Tim Wilkes.

                        Join the J/24 Class here.

                              Click Here to Join the J/24 Class Now
                       Follow the J/24 Class on Facebook

      Forward email

            This email was sent to timoelschlager at gmail.com by
director at j24class.org |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

      US J/24 Class Association | 900 Old Koenig Ln, Ste 114 | Austin | TX |
78756O

       by the way..... If you know someone who is looking to refinance,
purchase, or sell a home please call me with their name and number and I
will be happy to help them.

      Tim Oelschlager
      Realtor     SRS
      Home Buyers Realty Corp.