[J24 ListSrv] FW: John Gierde Must Come To the J 24 National Championship

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue Apr 23 20:11:04 CDT 2013

Hi all,

Just to let you know we are trying to get John to come to the National Championship.  He is the guy who got  Rod Johnstone to appoint Fleet #1 of the J 24 on Lake Minnetonka at the WYC. It is absolutely historic. The little-known fact is that Earl Savage, a friend of both John's and mine of the Minnetonka Yacht Club wanted to bring the J 24 into the MYC.  They turned it down as they had turned down the Ensign in 1965 when we tried to get them to accept us. The attitude was that, if it's lead bottom keelboat it's not a scow and we are not interested. The WYC was founded with the Ensign and the O'Dea day sailor, and then the J 24 came to us. Look what it has done for the Wayzata Yacht Club. Lots of things have gone right for the WYC, but none better than bringing in the J 24. So it is that you new people need to understand John Gjoierde's role in your boat and the WYC. He is a 40 year friend of mine, and I'm trying to get a mere for this wonderful event. Carmella has a 60 year family home in compound on Lake Delavan and we go often and see John regularly. Help us with this.

Regards,

Bert