[Morc] WYC Update

Andy Spence-Parsons andy.spence-parsons at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 20:41:58 CDT 2020

Hello All - I wanted to follow up with you after my “AP Down” e-mail last week.

We’ve all seen numerous boats out on the lake, and seen a general relaxing of restrictions and activities over the last week or so. I’m sure you’re also aware of the Governor’s latest Executive Order last Friday, effective today, allowed many non-essential businesses to reopen.

We want to get back to racing in some form as quickly as possible, and are committed to running some type of practice event this coming Sunday, June 14. However, it’s not quite as simple as we originally thought. Between EO 20-74 and guidance from both the DNR and the Minnesota Department of Health published today, there is very ambiguous and conflicting language. While the onshore activities are a bit more straightforward, this is no agreement about what is permitted on a boat from a social distancing standpoint. Specifically can non-households sail together so long as they are socially distant, or are we restricted to households only. What applies to individual boaters is somewhat different from the standards WYC is held to.

While we want to get back to normal and get out racing as soon as possible, we NEED to consider the restrictions we’re still under, how to mitigate those while boating, and the club’s overall responsibility to members, the City, County, and Water Patrol. The current guidelines are not clear and no authorities will give us a direct opinion.

Our current plan is to run some type of practices on Sunday afternoon around the buoys. We will update you ASAP on household vs. non-household recommendations and requirements. Your decision to participate here, as always, is ultimately your own.

More to come, and thank you for your continued patience.

Regards,  Andy