[Phrf] Race chair meeting

Clay Babcock clay.babcock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:26:48 CDT 2016

All,

Last week I attended a fleet skippers meeting held at the request of the
Race Chair. The goal was to socialize some potential changes to the WYC SIs
for next year. Many have asked me what the deal was so here is the net-net.
The clear focus was to:

Increase safety
Decrease collisions
Decrease protests making it to the room
Make the M series safer and less chaotic.

While this is still open and in flux, what we MIGHT see next year:
Some of these will probably (95%) make it into rules after they meet
officially. The usual disclaimer - it's not official until its official.

But quickly for you all:

TOPIC 1
Less protests making it off the water & Lessen flagrant violations
------------------
Section 2 / when boats meet-  infractions become 360s not 720s  (excluding
in the zone)
Arbitration penalty goes to 40%
Rule #2 (fair sailing) can be invoked to make a penalty non-discard-able

TOPIC 2
M-series
First 2 races stay ON THE MAIN LAKE, earlier start
If wind makes typical R/L course difficult, RC can have one of the two
sides run a distance race towards the main lake and finish near the docks
They are looking at doing two simultaneous starts, but that requires 3
boats.

This is where they are leaning, will know more after they meet and vote.
Stay tuned!