[S2] Finish lines in split-course settings

Tom Elsen telse at aol.com
Tue May 27 15:30:05 CDT 2014

Hi Bert -

I've been asked by a couple of our fleet members (with whom I agree) to express our concern about setting a single finish line when there are split courses.
This obviously skews the final upwind leg for both the left and the right courses. As such it decreases the strategic options for attacking boats. It makes the race more of a parade.
However, of significantly more concern is a course such as that set Thrs 5/22. The finish was not significantly upwind of the windward marks. Boats finishing very close to others who are approaching, rounding and decending from their windward mark is a difficult situation for everyone. Difficult = dangerous.
Whenever possible, we think separate finishes...significantly upwind...is a much more desirable course setting.

Thanks
Tom Elsen

Sent from my iPhone
Please pardon typos