[S2] Shakleton Rescue (smaller version)

Jerry Jerry at home-ed-pro.com
Fri Jan 16 12:25:07 CST 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Shakleton Rescue
Date: 	Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:54:23 -0600
From: 	Jerry <Jerry at home-ed-pro.com>
To: 	jerry at home-ed-pro.com >> Jerry vG <Jerry at home-ed-pro.com>

Here is the detail from my "participation" in the rescue of the
"Shakleton Reenactment Expedition" in January of 2015 at the Polish
station on King George Island.

On Jan. 4 ms Zaandam (Holland America Line, which I was aboard, and
therefore "participating") came to the aid of seven crew members from
the sailing yacht Polonus that were staying at the Arctowski Polish
research station at King George Island in Antarctica. The crew, all
Polish nationals, were stranded after their yacht went aground. They are
being taken to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and will disembark Jan. 11.

They were re-enacting the sailing portion of the Shakleton expedition,
starting out from England, sailing down the west coast of Africa,
crossing the Atlantic to South America and on down to Ushuaia. (Cape
Horn is accepted but a misnomer. The southern most land is actually an
island, not a cape.)  I've not found out how long they were in the area
or what their activities were.  The trouble arose when they agreed to
fetch several scientists from another location and return them to the
Arctowski station. A storm came up where they needed the engine and it
couldn't be started. They were washed onto the rocks.

I'm told the immediate rescue was by Chilean and Argentine military.
When I saw the yacht it had been pulled (tide & bulldozer) and was upright
at the Polish station. The hull had "micro cracks" and the keel was
damaged.  Too much damage to safely sail. So the rescue I saw was the
crew transfer by Zodiac, and climbing a rope ladder to the "A" deck
access on Zaandam.

Attached picture of the replica of the Shakleton escape boat at Ushuaia
(what burgee is that?).

Here is the web site of the s/y Polonus, with some translation. It is a
more efficient way to send better pictures than I took and stay within
the constraints of the wyc mail lists.
http://shackleton2014.com/shackleton-sy-polonus/
Polonus facebook page     https://www.facebook.com/Shackleton2014
"More" on fb page has vids, see the one "how to cuddle with an elephant seal"