[S2] WYC Update

Andy Spence-Parsons andy.spence-parsons at comcast.net
Sun May 17 16:36:23 CDT 2020

Hello friends and fellow racers.

We sincerely hope this email finds you and your family safe and healthy.

As sailors, we’re used to adjusting to the uncertainty Mama Nature throws at us.  We know how to handle a 40-degree wind shift, a squall line, and a no-wind-zone. However, little prepared us for the current uncertainties.  We’re all learning, following the rules, and adjusting. Thanks for your understanding, ideas and volunteerism!

Launching:
The Executive Order 20-56, issued last Thursday, continues to prohibit much of the club’s activities including racing, and access to the building and patio.  However, it does permit gathering of up to 10 people with appropriate social distancing. The Board interprets this to permit small crews to launch their boats as detailed here <https://www.wyc.org/page/show/5757146-compliant-launch-plan> and summarized as follows;
Sign the usage agreement –  detailed here <https://www.wyc.org/page/show/5757146-compliant-launch-plan>
Sign-up for a one-hour time slot - detailed here  <https://www.wyc.org/page/show/5757146-compliant-launch-plan>
Bring and wear a face covering
Maintain social distance of at least 6-feet from non-household members
Sanitize the crane controls, hooks and strap rings, gin pole crank and hook before and after each use – you are expected to bring your own supplies if self-launching.
Do not gather in groups of more than 10 people.
Members are reminded the DNR’s “Outdoor Recreations Guidelines” continue to require people on a boat to be from the same household and maintain a 6-foot distance from other boats.

Race Requirement Waived for the 2020:
WYC is Focused on Racing, which makes it such a vibrant club. It is why mooring priority and mooring rates are tied to race participation. Given the uncertainties or racing activities this season, and out of respect for members who are concerned about launching, the WYC Board unanimously agreed to waive the 6-race and 15-race requirement during 2020 for full members who have paid their dues for the 2020 season. As we consider mooring priority and mooring rates for the 2021 season, the Dock Committee will consider race participation in the 2019 season. We hope this provides some level of certainty during these uncertain times.

Racing in 2020:
Even though racing is still not allowed by the current Executive Order, the Race Committee is already envisioning what racing may look like assuming social distancing remains a requirement and/or prudent.  This may include shorthanded sailing, random course racing, and starting using VHF, not flags etc. We’d welcome your suggestions - use the link on the right side of this page <https://www.wyc.org/page/show/5757146-compliant-launch-plan>.

We will continue to keep you informed as the situation unfolds. In the meantime, we continue to encourage you to stay safe, and stay sane.

Andy Spence-Parsons | Commodore
On behalf of the WYC Board of Directors.