[Sonar]Change in skipper for the Burton Cup for Tally Ho

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Sun Aug 28 08:59:34 CDT 2005

Hi Sonar Sailors,
It was nice for Tom to let the fleet know Shaina is skipping Tally
Ho, but is not required.  Who is skipping or driving at the WYC has
nothing to do with the WYC SIs.  The SI only deal with the need to
have at least one "PAID QUALIFYING MEMBER'" on board DURING THE
RACE.  That can be;
    *  "any family member" weather they own that boat or not,
    * "any Annual member" for any boat any time
    * "any crew member" can serve that requirement up to 3 times a
season on up to 3 different boats or all on the same boat 3
times.  In addition there is the requirement that any one boat can
have a crew member be the qualifying member on board only 3 times a
season, and any time there is to be a crew member be the qualifying
member on board the Fleet captain must be notified before the race.
Now in Tom's case:  If Tom is on board , but Shaina is driving, he, a
family member, is the qualifying member.  If Tom is going to sail on
another boat and Shaina is the only "paid WYC member" on board, then
she needs to be the qualifying member.  However, Shaina is a
"qualified paid family member" because she is Tom's daughter
(immediate family under 21 or over 21 but still in school) and
because of her "family status", no notice is required and she can be
the qualifying member as often as Tom will let her have the boat.

However, were Shaina a regular $70 paid crew member, notice would be
required and the fleet captain is require to log that Shaina has then
used up 1 of her 3 times to serve as a qualifying member and Tally Ho
has used up 1 of its 3 times to have a crew member be the qualifying member.

This has been the WYC rules for 25 years. The purpose is 2 fold:
    * To require some who is a partner in a boat an will be racing
the boat frequently without the other partner on board, to pay the
higher membership fee of the annual membership because their benefits
is higher.
    * Allow family members to turn their boat over to their crew up
to 3 times a year, when they are gone on vacation, but not abuse the
privilege.