[Sonar] How to clean/paint the hull under the rollers

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Wed Nov 2 14:48:15 CST 2005

For those of us with rollers on our trailers without the neat roller
dropper that Ernie has,   I've figured out a system to get to the hull for
surface prep/treatment in its entirety,  without having to hoist it.

As you know,   the vertical trailer stanchions that the rollers are on are
easily moved fore and aft and in fact will fall forward or back when the
boat is not on the trailer.       When the boat is on the trailer however,
pull each stanchion forward by putting a line around each and pulling them
forward with the trailer winch about 6 inches.   When two people are
available,  lifting up on the very bow of the boat in a heaving motion
greatly facilitates this stanchion movement.   When this is done,  the
forward rollers in each set will be slightly free from the hull itself.
The stability of the hull will therefore be on the other set of
rollers...most of the weight of the boat is on the keel base.   At the
base of each roller pair is a U-bolt that then can be loosened and the
rollers in each set easily slid off with no danger of having the boat
shift.       I do one set of rollers at a time  (port and stbd)  and then
the other set before I move the stanchions aft to access the other set of
rollers that before had been stabilizing the hull.   (I think I've got
more rollers that most of the fleet for some reason)

To move the stanchions aft,   I put a line with a good sized block as a
turning block attached to a short line that is attached to the motor mount
and then again use the winch to pull the stanchions back about 6 inches
behind .     So in essence you're doing the same thing,  except that
you're pulling to a turning block that is aft just under the transom and
freeing different rollers.  (I've removed my rudder to make it easier but
this wouldn't be absolutely necessary)

While a little clunky,   this allows everywhere on the hull to be well
exposed for sanding and for appropriate curing/drying.     Since I'm doing
an epoxy job on Tally Ho!,   the curing time without contact with a roller
is not really viable as free hoist time.   (it takes about 12 hours for
the VC Performance Epoxy to cure to touch-  4 days ideally)

Hope this helps somebody.

Thomas Brown

----------------------------
Important news about email communications:

If our business rules identify sensitive information, you will receive a ZixMail Secure Message with a link to view your message. First-time recipients will be asked to create a password before they are granted access. To learn more about ZixMail, ZixCorp Secure Email Message Center, and other ZixCorp offerings, please go to http://userawareness.zixcorp.com/secure4/index.php
----------------------------

The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original
message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have
any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Unencrypted, unauthenticated Internet e-mail is inherently insecure.
Internet messages may be corrupted or incomplete, or may incorrectly
identify the sender.