[Sonar] Geneva report

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Mon Oct 3 14:28:16 CDT 2005

I don't have the historical perspective with GLC but here is what happened
this time:

1st:   John Sligh

3rd  Marty Fossen

Dan (Encore),  Trevor and I were bringing up the end.     Actually the
three of us had some fairly lively competition...one particular windward
and leeward mark in particular.

There were 13 or 14 boats I believe.     As I kind of knew going into
this,  the bar is set pretty high at LG.   The first indication of this
was the MELGES license plate on the Jimmy in the parking lot.  That and
having no local knowledge and going into the weekend with some serious
sleep debt  that we had our work cut out for us.

Other events, comments or observations:

-  #69 (Encore) almost did a '96' on the tarmac and became history.
(rolled off the trailer,  on the bow was still between the final set of
rollers)

-  Shaina and Mike Johnson unintentionally played teeter totter on Tally
Ho! on the trailer one morning.  It caught the end of the trailer before
it hit the rudder due only to our location on the slope.  No damage
though.

-  All of the Geneva boats were dry sailed and were typically hull #400
and up.

-  All but one of the Geneva boats had Tackticks or something similar

-  At least three of the top Geneva boats had brand new sails just for
this regatta   (Adios,  Woody and 515)

-  A couple of the Geneva Sonar owners are on their second Sonar  (newer
hulls).

-  I was told that every one of the Geneva crews had done this regatta at
least a half dozen times and several as long as they've had it.

-  The LG Sonar fleet reportedly  is about half the size it was a year
ago.   There apparently are no new Sonar owners there in the past two
years.  The same I'm told with the Star class.   There is only one J24
left and its for sale with its mast laying down.   Big growth area there
is the scows and Melges boats.   Fixed keelboats seem to be dying out.

-  At 48,   I felt very young against the other LG competitors

-  Great winds both days.    Shifty and unpredictable even when strong.
There is a lot of local knowledge about wind lifting or bending around
points that would be extremely useful.

-  No deweeding needed.    But we did see some initial milfoil growth.

So,  in essence,   we did really well with Marty and John.      For me
anyways,   it was good that we got to see how high the bar is with this
group and what we have to work up to.

Thomas Brown

"David Olson" <David.Olson at toro.com>
Sent by: sonar-bounces at lists.wyc.org
10/03/2005 01:45 PM

"sonar" <sonar at lists.wyc.org>
cc

Subject
[Sonar] Geneva report

Will someone spill the beans?   How was the GLC?

David

----------------------------
Important news about email communications:

If our business rules identify sensitive information, you will receive a ZixMail Secure Message with a link to view your message. First-time recipients will be asked to create a password before they are granted access. To learn more about ZixMail, ZixCorp Secure Email Message Center, and other ZixCorp offerings, please go to http://userawareness.zixcorp.com/secure4/index.php
----------------------------

The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original
message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have
any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Unencrypted, unauthenticated Internet e-mail is inherently insecure.
Internet messages may be corrupted or incomplete, or may incorrectly
identify the sender.