[Sonar] Keel fairing

markkoch markoch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:42:56 CST 2005

I was not planning on fooling with my keel, but now that it is on the
trailer I see that there are some areas of blistering where the fairing
compound has pulled away from the lead.  I popped a few of them and
there was water behind.  The material on the keel seems like auto body
filler.  Kind of plasticy with some flexibility.  Some places it is very
thin and other places one or two sixteenths inches thick.

I hate to remove it all because then I have no reference points to level
back too.  But if I leave the sound areas alone, they might blister next
year.

Only the lead portion of the hull has this problem--not the fiberglass
hull itself.  One side of the keel is fine--the other about 15-20%
blistered or loose.

What should I use for filler?  Epoxy with microballoons or some sort of
autobody stuff like it has now?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark

Liberty.