[Sonar] Lake Geneva Great Lakes Championship

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue Aug 22 16:19:21 CDT 2006

Hi All,
I just got back from the Paralympic Regatta in Newport RI.  It was my
introduction to Paralympic Sailing and what an eye opener.  I learned
a great deal about Paralympic Sailing and think that with the right
team and funding I may be able to win the Paralympic Trials in Oct
2007 and go to China in 2008.  However, that would require a $100,000
budget for going to 14 national regattas (some Paralympic and some
Able-body) over the next 13 months, plus training time with the team
and coaches all year long.  That's a lot of travel and its associated cost.

While I am trying to put together my Paralympic program we will go to
the Lake Geneva Great Lakes Championship, leave the boat in Lake
Geneva and pick it up on Oct 6th to go back out to Newport for the
Paralympic Pretrial s Oct 11th thru the 15th.

I found out I can NOT crew a Paralympic Sonar because I'm not strong
enough to trim the main in strong wind with one arm.  However, I did
get "Classified" by the international doctor as a "4", and that is
great.  "1" is a high Quad, 7 is a single below knee amputee, a low
para is a 3.  Maximum of 14 points on a boat of 3 people and only 2
on the rail.  So, with me being 4, I can have a 3 Para on a bench in
front doing the jib and a 7 in the middle doing the main.  No
spinnakers are used.  We do use wisker poles that launch
automatically from the cockpit.

I'm fortunate that I was able to hook up with 2 para #3s who have
done a total of 4 Paralympic campaigns and want to do bow for me.  I
have 1 #7 who has done 2 campaigns and wants to do middle, and a
second who may be interested and one #4 who could do either.  So, its
now time to put the resources together to activate the campaign.

See you Thursday,
Bert