[Sonar] mooring systems

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Thu May 4 13:32:44 CDT 2006

Thanks Dave.

I forwarded these links to Steve Bren.

He says he's going to order about 8 new bouys   (don't hold me to that).
And that he's retied a bunch and also will go diving next week to check
the lower half.

The question he has is whether he should reorder the ones that have the
hole in the middle where the chain goes right up through the bouy and then
there is a collar on each side,    or to just go with what we have  (with
the rings).      Fortunately,   Steve used to live on Casco Bay also and
knew exactly what I was talking about with the collar version.

If anybody has some advice on this,   please pipe in.

Thomas Brown

"David Olson" <David.Olson at toro.com>
Sent by: sonar-bounces at lists.wyc.org
05/04/2006 12:48 PM

<sonar at lists.wyc.org>
cc

Subject
[Sonar] mooring systems

http://www.taylormadegroup.com/catfold/pdffiles/pg11_20.pdf

http://www.rolyanbuoys.com/BuoyCatalog03.pdf   - see page 15

http://www.vifishandwildlife.com/Education/TropicNews/Volume15/Vol15i1.pdf
 - see page 3

I found 4 different manufacturers that all say the same thing:  The ring
on top of the buoy is only a place to attach the pennant while the boat is
not moored.  The above links have nice drawings that illustrate the same.
I would hazard a guess that a large number of club members are not aware
of this (based on past observation).

David Olson
Commercial Engineering
The Toro Company