[Sonar] Area K Mallory Cup qualifier

Andert, Christopher M christopher.m.andert at lmco.com
Tue May 16 07:55:01 CDT 2006

Sonar Fleet 5,

JR and I have had some discussions about this year's Mallory Cup.  In
case you are unaware the Mallory Cup is the U.S. Men's Sailing
Championship.  The Finals will be raced this year in Sonars in
Marblehead, MA on September 19-23.  Attending this regatta is based on
winning one of the country's 11 Area qualifiers.  We all reside in Area
K, and as you can see in the email below there is currently no qualifier
scheduled.  In such a case the Area would select a representative based
on resumes.

The WYC Sonar fleet could have the opportunity to host this semi-final
event for the chance to compete in the Finals against some of the
countries best sailors.  The current US Men's Champion is WYC Sonar
fleet bred Zak Fanberg.  He has won this regatta the past three years.
That's a feat that has only been accomplished by one other US sailor;
Buddy Melges.  He won the event in 1959, '60 and '61.  The list of past
Champions is a who's who of US sailing; George O'Day (as in the boat),
John Kolius, Paul Forester, Jeff Madrigali and many others.

To host such an event it would need to be organized quickly in
recognition of the Finals dates.  The fleet would have to provide boats
for others to race.  It shouldn't be assumed that fleet could just go
out and battle each other.  Crews are made up of a team of 3 (men or
women), but the helmsman must be male.  Check the US Sailing website for
further details.

http://www.ussailing.org/championships/adult/usmsc/

My involvement in fleet five has dropped considerably this year from
previous due to other commitments, but I'd love the opportunity to help
facilitate such an event (and probably sail) if the boat owners thought
this was an opportunity worth taking on.  The WYC schedule is jam packed
with events already but could be run in a two-day mid week format.
Similar to the Sears Cup qualifier scheduled for July.  Or possibly a
Friday/Saturday event in Wayzata Bay.

What does the fleet think?

Happy sailing,

Chris Andert

BTW - I copied both Dean Cady and Andy Kiener (Area K reps) on this
email.

  _____