[Sonar] Fwd: Re: Thanks and questions

Martin Fossen martyfossen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 01:40:06 UTC 2007

Hello Fleet 5,

  Sorry it's taken so long to forward lessons learned from sailing with Peter Galloway.  My slowness is partly due to the fact that I've been trying to translate the concepts across various wind strengths and sea states but have had limited success.

  The most significant change I've made that does translate to various wind strengths is to keep the leeward tell tales on the jib glued to the sail.  Before I'd too often allow them to flicker just slightly to make sure I kept speed or regained lost speed.  When Peter was on board, anytime that leeward tell tale even fluttered slightly, he'd tell me to get it up.  Of course riding closer to the edge of speed loss is tricky and being in the right gear become more critical.

  Another excellent lesson was the roll tacking stuff.  Study the roll tacking video on Sonar.org if you haven't.  It does take a lot of practice to get the whole crew in sinc but it really makes a difference that you'll feel immediately when you all get the rhythm right.  One of the ingredients is when to stop the turn.  I'd had a tendency to overtack to get better acceleration, but was, of course, giving up windward gains.  Peter showed us that the turn should end just as the jib is filled (at power trim setting) and tell tales on both sides are streaming.  This wouldn't give that same acceleration that I'd had before unless we employed the proper roll tacking technique.  This is then followed by the final trim after speed is back up.  Of course the pace of the whole roll tacking process changes with wind strength so, again, it takes practice with the crew to get that pace tuned in.

  With regard to sail trim in general, Peter put us in a lower power, higher point mode than I had before.  If the breeze is on at all, the traveler is lower and the main sheet is tighter than I had it before.  I'm steering higher but only slightly slower.  Part of the reason the traveler is lower is because Peter increased my rake (now about 25' 11 5/8") I have to sail higher and have the traveler lower or my helm gets way too heavy.  The boat is quieter going through the water than before but my VMG is better.

  Good luck applying this stuff.  On our boat we continue to struggle but we're making progress.

  MF

Note: forwarded message attached.