[Sonar] Shipping a New Mast

Carmella Zagone carmella_zagone at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 13:43:39 UTC 2007

Ernie does not have easy access to Internet in the motorhome in Newport, so I will pass along the message.

  Unfortunately (for Henry), Bert and I are towing Captain Hook directly to Florida after the Paralympic Trials in Newport.  I do not know if it would be possible for a mast to ride back to Minneapolis on top of the motor home, but I will ask Ernie.  Henry could also call Ernie on his cell phone.

  Team Captain Hook will practice sail today with Brian Hayes of North Sails.  It will be an early day, because we have to clean up and dress up for the opening ceremony at the New York Yacht Club.  One more chance to practice on Friday with coach Anthony Kotoun before the racing begins on Saturday.  Only six boats are registered, so the starting line should be manageable.

  If you do not receive Captain Hook emails, and would like to know how the team is doing, go to www.paralympicteamcaptainhook.org, and click the link to be added to our email list.

  The real excitement starts NOW!

  Carmella

tbrown9163 at comcast.net wrote:
  Mac Steven's stopped me in the hall today about this.

When Marty and Shaina came back from Marblehead, we had Howard's mast with us all pristine and wrapped in plastic.

I would get a hold of Ernie right away. This is their big weekend in Newport you know. Chances are they won't go back that way (they might go south across the Hudson) but its worth a try. The NY Turnpike with the Berkshire's is far less lumpy than across the Penn Turnpike on the Alleghenies...far less wear on the brakes.

The problem is, is not only the shipping expensive, but as Chris Fittipaldi knows...sometimes the shipping service ain't so great and you get a mast with damage. They're not used to shipping such things.

Back in the early 80's...I remember having a mast shipped for the old Frylya in Bayfield...and it was essentially a total loss on arrival. Much better to try to get Ernie to put it on top of Capt'n Hook.

Better move fast though.

--
Thomas M. Brown
~~~~~~~_/) ~ _/)~~~~~~

From: "Henry Brantingham"
> For those of you who missing the fun, the side stays pulled out right after
> the start of the last M series, and the mast folded.
>

> Shumway is estimating $1500 just to ship a new mast, and suggesting that
> it's very difficult to ship a mast via common carrier in any case. Anybody
> have any experience with that? Advice? Anybody planning to tow a boat
> anywhere near Rochester NY in the next 6 months (you could by a lot of road
> food for $1500)
>

> Henry Brantingham
>
> (612) 867-3941

Sonar mailing list