[Sonar] Extra crew for tonight-Thursday & crewing on the "Tall ships"-Pride of Baltimore II- Green Bay to Port Washington, WI, Aug. 12-14th

Chuck Bangasser chuck at besttechnologyinc.com
Thu Aug 7 16:16:27 UTC 2008

First, I have an very good crew member that I don't have room for on our boat tonight that would like to sail and we should keep him in the Sonar fleet.  Let me know if you need crew for tonight.

Second, I wanted to share with you a unique opportunity that was presented to me that I'm sure you can appreciate.  While in Duluth last Saturday with Cheryl touring the "Tall Ships" I noticed a sign saying that they have a few spaces open for "visitor crew."  Well the first opening left Monday for 7 days- Duluth to Green Bay...too long and too quick.  Tuesday I called asking about the next leg from Green Bay to Port Washington, WI- only two days...much better.  They had ONE spot left, however, the captain had to approve any "visitor crew" as their working crew is small and it is a "working crew/visitor crew" position.  I just completed the interview and was approved quickly because of my sailing background at WYC.  I leave Tuesday morning for Port Washington to pickup a couple of other crew coming up from Chicago and continue on to Green Bay.  We board about 5:00 PM and set sail Wednesday morning.  We arrive in Port Washington Thursday about 3:00 and then drive back to Green Bay in the car of the couple from Chicago that I picked up.

Enough of the logistics.  This is "once in a lifetime opportunity" that was really inexpensive and something I wanted to share with you because we all share the same passion.  If you are interested you can check out the below websites for information on the "Tall Ships" and the "Pride of Baltimore II."  There are a total of 12 full time crew aboard including the captain, engineer, cook, and deck hands and 6 "visitor crew".  We are expected to assist the crew in all functions including night time watch and, I'm not sure about, climbing to the top of the 100' masts to tie/untie the sails.  It should be very interesting learning the rigging for the many sails.  Interestingly, with the many large sails I saw, no winches, and asked how they raise and trim all the large sails...they didn't have winches then, only strong crew.

http://www.marylandspride.org/index.php

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/24454524.html?location_refer=$urlTrackSectionName

Video... http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/24454524.html?location_refer=$urlTrackSectionName

I hope to come back with lots pictures and stories to share.

Best regards,
Chuck