[Sonar] Trophies for Fall regatta

tbrown9163 at comcast.net tbrown9163 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 22:24:41 UTC 2008

All:

Thanks for bringing up the trophy subject and getting a line on a source.    As David says,  I was looking into that but I was indeed out of town  (taking the Wylie to her slip in Bayfield from Duluth) and also my son was home on leave and we spent max time with family in Duluth.   He just left to go back to his deployment today and probably won't be back for 2 years.   His leave came up unexpected.

I agree with David that we should allow the trophies to run up the line a little bit since this is a paying regatta.   I would also suggest,  as we discussed in the background before,  that we include medals for kids under 18 that participate.   They're about $4 a piece at most which I consider a good bang for the buck.    I bet Peter, Nate, Jack, the Noreen girls,  Mattie etc. would love to get some recognition for the year.   The proposed distance race would be a good one for them to attend to earn it.

On another slightly different note,   it appears that the Sonar may actually become (or be) an Olympic class in a new event for the 2012 games for Match Racing.   There are at least two new Sonar fleets that have popped up due to this development.    I'm in contact with one of those fleets via my old friend Bill Schanan who publishes the Sailing magazine who is associated with the fleet of 8 Sonars which was just formed in Manitowoc WI.   They're included in the Star of the North emails I'm sending out also.

--
Thomas M. Brown

From: "DAVID OLSON" <davidfolson at earthlink.net>