[Sonar] Thanks to team racer practice participants

tbrown9163 at comcast.net tbrown9163 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 10:13:37 CDT 2009

It was my first time on the tiller for a team event.    A big change in I/O from being crew.  Humbling indeed, especially in the breeze that we were in with little time to decide and no forgiveness for mistakes.

I've got the DVD,  which is very good but is information overload.   Here are a few of the highlights that I see boiled down to a level that I can understand at my elemental level: (perhaps they are helpful to the group)

  - If you're first,  stay first and only cover close enough to not risk losing it

 - If you're last,   your job is to get out of being last place

 - If you're in the middle,  and your teammate is last,  do what you can to get him/her out of last place.

The DVD goes into things like balancing and weaving,   far too advanced for what I could process at this point.

I know this is overly simplistic,  but its something that I get at my level.       Blake,  do you confirm these simple guidelines?

I'll bring the DVD back to the club to hand off on Saturday and will not be present for the Thursday race.

Thomas Brown