[Sonar] Fwd: Worlds

Mark Kochendorfer markoch at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:41:28 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Fossen <martyfossen at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:09:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [Sonar] Worlds
To: markoch at gmail.com

Mark and Fleet 5,

Here a few of my reflections on the big event:  Firstly, Mark, Cheryl,
and Bill were great racing and travel mates.  Though we struggles with
boat speed in the chop, we all stayed positive and focused.  Secondly,
It was a lot of work and and an arduous drive for six races but, for
me, it becomes perhaps almost a zen thing; getting to the big event,
culminating in the intensity of the huge, crowded start line and
mixing it up with top racers.  Thirdly, the New England racing venues,
at least the few I've seen, are amazing, both on and off the water.
You all should experience an event out there.

A little more detail on the good news:  Compared to my effort in
Marblehead two year ago, we were much better at carving our spot on a
crowded start
 line.  In the race
 we had in flatter water in which we finish 7th, we did benefit from a
wind shift on the first leg, but during the later legs we also passed
two boats and maintained a close lead over the boat that was
ultimately 3rd overall.  On Sunday they did start a race, which got
abandoned when no one could get to the windward end within the
45-minute limit, but when the abandon signal was blown, we were just
behind the boat that placed 7th in the event.  I suspect we were in
the top 15 at that moment.  I'm left inspired to get better.  Having
gotten to know a number of East coast Sonar sailors, I hope to crew
for one of them at an event next year and hopefully gain a better
understanding of how they move in and out of that lower gear for
acceleration in the chop and for punching out off the starting line.
MF

PS There's lot of team racing in Sonars out there.  I'll be checking
into opportunities to play.  I'll keep you posted.  Hopefully a good
number of you would consider going to a team racing event out there.