[Sonar] FW: [Capri25] kattack

Carmella Foster carmella at apexq.com
Mon Aug 16 13:18:35 CDT 2010

Dan McNamara's email to the Capri fleet reminded me...

Last Thursday, I was not sure if my GPS had been turned on, so I went to the
Kattack website to see if Sesame Street was there.  We were, as were five
other boats.  Six total.  Trouble is, there were 13 boats racing.  What can
we do to increase the Sonar fleet participation?

FYI, we purchased a unit from Kattack that is actually a cell phone with
Boost data service.  It is programmed to record GPS tracking when turned on
and transmit directly to Kattack.  I suppose I could make a phone call with
it, but have not tried.  We don't use it for anything but submitting our
race data.  Just turn it on before the race, turn it off at the end of the
race.  Nothing to turn in or pick up.  You do have to remember to plug it in
so the battery stays charged.

The phone from Kattack cost $120.  It came with 90 days free data service.
After that, it's $10 a month to Boost, no contract.  I assume we can stop
the service for the winter and turn it back on in the spring.  We have not
had it for 90 days yet, so don't know how the billing works.

Just my thoughts.

Carmella