[Sonar] Insurance?

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 22:21:11 CDT 2010

Ken

Your homeowners (and probably renters) insurance covers your liability
(boats under 26 ft and less than 10 hp).  Usually if you give someone
permission to use your boat they can do it but it is still your liability.
You need to let the insurance know that you will be racing and if they won't
cover you then change insurance because there are those who will.
Homeowners usually covers the motor because it is personal property.

The club requires liability insurance and I don't remember the minimum
number.  You probably have it already.  It is with your homeowners
insurance.  It is if you damage someone else.  Check with Wayne because it
is not on the on-line form.

The thing you really want is hull insurance.  This is insurance that covers
you if there is damage and it is not someone else's fault.  This would be a
mast breaking or a collision with repair on your boat but you were on port
or the boat simply sinks. That is a separate policy and should be available
through your insurance broker.  Get coverage for racing with spinnakers.
Shop around.  Some are less concerned than others.  Always buy insurance
from someone who doesn't know about sailboats so you can tell them what they
need (you want them) to know.  They will probably cover the motor but you
may have double coverage.

Pay attention to the navigation season which around here is May 1 to Oct 31.
If you can get better than that, consider whether you'll use it.

Ernest