[Sonar] Right Of Way

Bert Foster bert at apexq.com
Mon May 2 14:37:01 CDT 2011

Hi All,
Note in the pecking order below that sailboats must give way to power boats
they are overtaking, boats resticted in there ability to maneuver, fishing
boat trolling and boats constrainde by draft.  The 28 large commercial
charter boats often fall into the 1-3-4 class, and sailboats must give way.

Vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver - Means a vessel that can't
maneuver as required
by the rules because of the size or operation of the vessel

The Pecking Order

There is a "pecking order" that can be used as a simplified memory aid to
determine right of way for vessels
of different types. Get very familiar with this list, as it is important to
understand it thoroughly. The lower most
vessel on the list is the give way vessel, and must stay out of the way of
vessels that are higher on the list:

1.	Overtaken vessel (top priority)

2.	Vessels not under command

3.	Vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver

4.	Vessels constrained by draft

5.	Fishing vessels engaged in fishing, with gear deployed

6.	Sailing vessels

7.	Power driven vessels

  _____