[Sonar] Fleet meeting at Kvale's 4/21, send me motions

Martin Fossen martyfossen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 16:55:54 CDT 2012

Hello Fleet 5,

I would guess there will be a good turnout at Kvale's on April 21 (Much thanks Tom and Deirdre) and, of course, it makes sense to have a fleet business meeting to vote on some stuff.  I hope we can prepare for this meeting ahead by having motions put forth and publicized.  To reduce sonar.list email clutter, please don't reply directly to this note.  Instead please send motions to me at martyfossen at yahoo.com .  I will then compile the motions, and other stuff, and distribute them in one or two notes sent on Sonar.list.  For those who won't make it to the party but want to offer their opinions on motions, or other ideas, please send me a note and I'll also compile that information for distribution.

Some motion business is simply repeating business from past years, such as the choice for the Lonar date, and how this, and other events, might effect scoring of normal races.  Please remind me of other recurring business.  One new idea I heard last year was to declare that the fleet representative for the Champ of Champ race be changed to be whoever is at the top of the Thursday series rather than Sunday series.  Can I get a motion on that?  Any redundancy will represent the 2nding of a motion.

The balance of our fleet treasury improved last year, evidently in large part thanks to profits from both the NA event and the Team Racing event.  Perhaps our treasurer can elaborate on this.  I ran the team race event.  Due to lack of pre-registration, I had not committed to expenses other than race management, but since we had good participation, we ended up with a profit of more than $500.

Also, let's talk about the strengths and weakness of our fleet and, of course, ideas to add to those strengths and subtract from the weaknesses.  In that vein, JR and I were talking last week.  A plan we'll likely implement is to designate a time and place for post-race debriefs open to all where we'll share ideas on how people set-up boats for that day's wind, the various winds that were seen on the course, strategic and tactical choices, etc.  I suppose that that day's winner would generally be the key-note speaker.  Our thinking is to have the start time for this debrief driven by the posted dock time of the race committee.  Perhaps the debrief starts 20 minutes after that dock time.  We'll elaborate on this at the meeting.

The Sonar Fleet 5 Team Racing program will also be discussed.  BTW thank you to Hans for his leadership and organizational effort in this.  Also, thanks to all those who either participated in last fall's "Great Northern Sonar Team Race Regatta" and/or allowed their boats to be borrowed for the event.  The kids sailing on Noreen's boat won the event.  I believe our Sonar Fleet 5 Team Racing program will enhance the attraction of more young sailors and former college racers to our fleet.

Typically our fleet veterans contribute a lot to these meetings.  I'd like to ask the fleet members who have come into the fleet in the last few years to share their perspectives.  In particular I'd like to hear why you came to the Sonar fleet and how your expectations were met, not met, or exceeded.  And, thus, how the fleet can do better to grow the enthusiasm within our fleet, and, of course, create more enthusiasm and attract more sailors.

Kathy and I can't come to the party/meeting because Kathy's son, PJ, is getting married that day.  So, our other fleet officers will need to run the meeting.  I'll work with them to pull an agenda together.

More soon,
Thanks,
Marty