[Sonar] Lowisa is fast approaching

LOWISA saillowisa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 14:34:13 CDT 2013

Hi folks,
 I thought I'd take the time to share excerpts from an email sent by Chris
Debicki, this year's chief Commodore who along with a small group went and
did a scout of our proposed routes...  Maybe this will remind you that in
less than a month you should be out sailing with us.  Go check out the
route maps at www.facebook.com/lowisaregatta  (if you can't be bothered to
scroll through the page, simply click on the "photos" button and open the
race course album).  After you've had a look at our wonderful course, go on
over to www.lowisa.org (which is soon to get a major makeover) and click on
the "pay now" button to register.  Choose either racing or cruising
depending on how you're so inclined, and you're done...
We'd also love to hear some feedback re the comments below.

Cheers, Matt (the minor player of the Debicki Comodore's this year)
*
*
*Hi guys,

We took Misty and Syrenka through the paces this weekend on a 4 day trip to
and from Sabaskong.

We sailed with a bunch of friends, some of whom know the lake fairly well,
as well as a few neophytes.  Everyone was taken by the beauty of this
route.

Jim Fogg joined us at Buena Vista and ended up sailing the long way around
Big on the way back.  Haven't heard a report, although we saw him pulling
into Oak approx 12 hours after he left Sabaskong (and I would guess he
motored most of the trip as the winds were mostly light on Sunday).
We had light air from the south so we bailed on the Big Island route and
also couldn't do it on our way back.  I'd love to sail that route, but I
don't think we can take the fleet that far (we should have eliminated
layover day this year!).  I like the alternative option taking us around
Bear Island.  I suggest that this become our main option, but that we have
a backup race if it's a drifter that goes straight through Dog and Pony (or
not, I'd just like to see that in the race instructions!) and then straight
for Basil Channel with an end wherever it becomes unsailable.  That route
between Big and Painted Rock is incredibly beautiful.  As is the route
North of Split Rock (which we took coming back).  The anchorage spots b/w
Split Rock and Painted Rock are also stunning.

As you can surmise from the charts, the sail from Painted Rock right to
Buena Vista is awesome.  It's a shame we can't incorporate that bay into
the race: I suggest a Sabaskong layover day race before the
paddleboarding.  Maybe instead of a buoy race we go around a few islands so
that people can appreciate the sailing in that bay...

*