[Sonar] Minutes from the Sonar Fleet #5 planning meeting on Dec 19

Thomas Brown tbrown9164 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 07:22:16 CST 2019

All:

We have a fun season in 2020,  especially in light of the North American
championships coming to WYC!

We met as a quorum on December 19 and here are the essential minutes as I
wrote them:

Eric Simso agreed to take the position of fleet treasurer.   Thanks Eric!

We have approximately 7K in the fleet account.   The exact amount will be
reviewed at our next meeting.

Warren and Paula Weck have agreed to manage the B series dock party.
Thanks again Warren and Paula!   (this was ex parte before the meeting)

We had 6 people raise their hands for potential participation in the
Galveston team racing regatta in Kemah TX on April 18-19.     We nominally
need 9 and a max of 12. Marty Fossen has agreed to be the liaison between
Kemah and SF5 so we will hear more from him in the near future on this.

The Sonar fleet dues for 2020 will remain at $40 with the rules regarding
it also not changing.

We decided not do do any Sunday rumbles in 2020

We will have a winter party  (white elephant format) on either January 18
or 25)   host is to be determined.   I will have a follow up email about
that.

JR confirmed that we will continue (as the official schedule will indicate)
with the Friday night team racing socials.   Thank you JR!

There are two no-boat team racing seminars at Wayzata Sailing that Sonar
skippers and crews are encouraged to attend:  February 25 and March 10.

We decided to plan an alternative format for the Lonar that some boats may
want to the participate in:  the 'Donar'  as in doublehanded.     I will be
working with WYC  and a few of the Sonar fleet members that wanted this to
get this into the 2020 schedule but the basic intent is it to be on the
Saturday series.

JR is working to get a Sonar sailmaker clinic here as part of the run up to
the North Americans but also for all Sonar skippers and crews overall.   It
was voted that the fleet would pay for the travel expenses of the seminar
giver  (expected to be from the east coast).   The consensus of the group
was that the format of the Steve Shepstone seminar in 2006 was what was
sought with both on the water,  on shore and rigging/tuning demonstrations
to be included.   JR will have more on dates etc. in the near future.

recruitment, it was also agreed that we do some some other seminar within
the fleet where we do not bring in an outside expert.   I will be taking
that on.   I will likely be a rules refresher or a panel type discussion on
a Friday night along with pizza and libation.  More on that in the next few
weeks.

We made a decision to have fleet level decisions (special rules etc.) to
continue to be made via email but that it be done with a list of boat
owners and partners only, one vote per boat, and that there be a initial
email date/time along with a discussion period and expiration time.   These
details were not completely settled but will be soon.

It was voted that we purchase two flag (feather) type banners for fleet
brand promotion during Sonar events  (e.g. Friday night team events,
seminars,  lent to the North American championship events etc.)   an
example:

https://www.flagsonthecheap.com/all-feather-flags

I'm sure I'm missing things here, and there were certainly other
discussions with no decisions made,  but these were the essentials.   I
will work with Hans on getting this onto a Google drive and using the sonar
fleet 5 gmail account for all of this communication going forward.

Have a great holiday season and see you at the white elephant party!

Thomas Brown