[Sonar] WYC - Racing Abandoned until Monday 17th August.

Andy Spence-Parsons andy.spence-parsons at comcast.net
Thu Aug 13 14:06:12 CDT 2020

Dear members;

We knew this would happen. In spite of everyone’s best efforts, there have been three recent confirmed cases of WYC members testing positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, the cases appear mild.

All three members were last at the club on the weekend of 1st/2nd August, and showed symptoms soon thereafter. In two of the cases they promptly notified us after testing positive. Thanks to everyone’s completing the daily check in forms, we were able to quickly conduct contact tracing, and everyone that sailed with the affected individuals or was near them on the dock has been notified to stay away from the club until Monday, August 17. If you have not received a notification, you were not near the affected members’ boats.

After reviewing the cases and dates and MDH guidelines, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel racing through Sunday, August 16. This will demonstrate to all our stakeholders how seriously we’re taking this, and get us to the 14 day point from the last known club exposure. Racing will resume on Monday, August 17. We will never know if we have done too much, however we will all know if we don’t do enough.

There are a couple of “teachable moments” here.
First, follow the protocols of staying away if you don’t feel well, recently traveled on an airplane, or visited a high-risk area. Wear a mask, maintain distancing ashore, and complete the daily check in.
Second, if you test positive within 14 days of being at the club, it is MANDATORY that you notify us at vice.commodore at wyc.org, or calling Thorn Turner at 612-743-4929. This is an MDH requirement, and we NEED to know this to complete the required contact tracing
Again, I’m glad to report these cases appear mild, but this may not always be the case. We’re now five weeks into our restarted season and overall things have gone very well. Let’s keep that going. Please redouble your efforts to contain the virus so that we can maintain some semblance of normalcy and finish the season strong. (more to come on the fall schedule soon!) As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns

We look forward resuming activities at WYC on Monday 17th August.  In the meantime, stay safe.

WYC Board of Directors