[Sonar] Report from our Mallory Cup Reprospective get together

Thomas Brown tbrown9164 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 09:00:41 CDT 2021

All:

While we were unfortunately not able to get zoom going for our Thursday
night session,   we had great attendance. Bernt brought pizza and I brought
a couple of different brews, and we had a great discussion about how the
Mallory Cup went and then discussed a new interest in reviving team racing
at Sonar fleet #5.

Here are some of the take aways I picked up from our discussion of the
Mallory Cup.

1.  Regatta is extremely well run.
2. The ORC is US Sailing trained and is very picky about getting starts
right and wind shift/condition change situations.   A little as 10
degree shifts would cause postponements.
3. The top teams tended to win races right at the start....with momentum
4. The top teams really weren't faster on the drag race,  but executed
their maneuvers just a bit more accurately and tended to tactically not get
stuck on the corners.

The other comment,  is that the Kemah Sonar fleet  (Corinthian YC) has a
strong team racing program,  as they have had for many years.

The rest of our discussion was about reviving team racing.

As some of us know,  its takes a significant amount of momentum to get a
team racing effort off the ground but we decided that these three things
would be important in generating the interest to the level that it would
thrive here as we did about ten years ago (has it been that long!?)

1.  Local training sessions with real coaches.   We discussed where those
could from and how that could work.   (we have good coaches within a stones
throw)

2.  A revived local team racing regatta event that would be the goal of the
local training sessions.  Discussions will continue.

3. A 'road trip' team race,  which was always a highlight for me anyways.
 We have regionally close Sonar fleets that could be a venue for this.
Discussions will continue.

Thomas Brown