The Weathermark at wyc.org - June 8th, 2004

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Jun 8 11:27:08 CDT 2004

The Weathermark at wyc.org  -  June 8th, 2004
Sorry: this is a long issue...

THIS ISSUE:
- To Fiddler's Green: Walt Brantingham, WYC's First Commodore
- ADA Regatta Planning
- Blake Middleton Raffle
- A Series Party - June 13th
- Kiddy Regatta at Wayzata Beach
- Advance Crew Training
- Big Boat Training
- To Fiddler's Green: Chet Hajec

-----------------------------

WALT BRANTINGHAM TO FIDDLER'S GREEN: WYC'S FIRST COMMODORE
Charles Water (Walt) Brantingham passed to Fiddler's Green on Tuesday June
1st of complications from Diabetes. He was 77 years old and had lived in
Phoenix since 1975. Walt was WYC's first official Commodore and was
instrumental in the club's early growth. Walt raced Ensign #10 and later a
Yingling.

The Bail Bond award was first awarded to Walt after his false arrest by the
Wayzata Police. To this day, the Bail Bond award remains the most
prestigious WYC award for service to the club. There are many stories worth
hearing about Walt and his fierce competitive streak. Take a moment to ask
Bert Foster or Pat Maloney for stories if you have a chance.

Walt last visited WYC in early May while most of the fleet was out on the
lake for the on-the-water training seminar. I coincidently met him and we
joked about his "past commodore's" photo that required significant Photoshop
work to removed the HUGE handgun that he was brandishing. After speaking
with him, I somehow think we should have kept the handgun in the photo.

Thanks Walt, and our sympathies to your family.

ADA REGATTA PLANNING
Did you notice Walt passed away from complications with Diabetes? Well, it
just so happens the ADA regatta is coming up July 24-25th. This year there
will be an increased emphasis on fundraising for individual boats and fleets
at the club, so start planning now.

New this year will be a Cruiser Race for non-racers. It will be out and back
to Excelsior and be run as a reverse start PHRF race. This means boats are
given a start time based on their rating and finishing order determines your
place. If you have a friend with a boat (any boat, heck we might even give
out a powerboat rating) ask them to consider participating and helping to
support the ADA.

What should you do right now????
- Commit your boat and select crew for the race now. Consider choosing crew
based on their willingness to raise support. The race to raise fundraising
support will begin next week.
- Invite any non-racing friends to consider the Cruising Race. They will be
invited to all the ADA festivities, be eligible to win fundraising awards,
and have a great time.

BLAKE MIDDLETON WATCH RAFFLE
OK, Blake has MS and not Diabetes, but it's still not a fun thing. Most
importantly Bren has moved back the drawing date to this Sunday at the A
Series Party. So this really is your last chance to support Blake or win a
fine Citizen watch. See Steve Bren to buy your tickets.

More details are available at http://www.wyc.org/Blake.htm

A SERIES PARTY
This Sunday the A Series party is going to be a big deal with a pig roast
and a Hawaii Five "Oh" theme. Cost is $5 for the pig roast and lots of high
octane Hawaiian punch-whapatui. Don't forget your $5 and grass skirts.

KIDDY REGATTA AT WAYZATA BEACH THURSDAY NIGHTS
Child bound WYC parents have been visiting Wayzata Beach during the Thursday
night races. If you're an abandoned parent, think about stopping by with
your kids to hang out with some friends. Although there is no official start
time, entry fee, or awards, all other International Playground Rules will be
strictly observed. Fred Sommers will, as usual, head up the protest
committee.

ADVANCED CREW TRAINING
Terry Foster is heading up the new and improved advance crew training
seminars this summer. Classes start June 9th. Also, we need participating
boats, so contact Beth Frampton is you have a boat and are interested in
participating. http://www.wyc.org/seminars/advanced_crew_training.htm

BIG BOAT TRAINING
The Apostle Islands Station holds a training seminar yearly on Lake
Superior. This year it's June 19th.  This is a great chance to see what it's
all about. Space is limited, so register now at
http://www.wyc.org/seminars/Apostle_Islands_Station.htm

TO FIDDLERS GREEN: CHET HAJEC
Our sympathies to the friends and family of long time Bayfield racer and
former partner in the boat Quadriga.  More information at
http://www.legacy.com/StarTribune/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId
=2301440

Sail Fast!!!!!!!!!!!