Special Announcment - Weathermark at WYC.org - October 9

dallas dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Oct 9 18:26:51 CDT 2007

Special Announcment - Weathermark at WYC.org - October 9

Team Captain Hook is currently leading the Sonar Paralympic Trials. Only
halfway through and four long days of racing to go, but good news so far.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and it's also Bert's 71st Birthday.

I can't think of a better reason to clog up Bert's e-mail box with Birthday
and Good Luck wishes from everyone reading this e-mail. Drop him a line at
Bert at apexq.com

Stick it to 'em, Captain Hook!

Bert's daily e-mail notice is below....

Team Captain Hook Wins Both Races Today - October 9, 2007

Today was an over-the-top day for Team Captain Hook.  Following our first
place finish in the second race on Monday, and the reinstatement last night
of our first-place finish in Race Two, we put the frosting on the cake with
2 bullets today, to lead the Paralympic Trials regatta after Day Four.
Tomorrow is a Reserve Day (no races), followed by four more days of racing,
in this "winner-take-all" contest to select the United States representative
to the 2008 Paralympic Games in China.  With only a one-point lead over
Disabled World Champion Rick Doerr, we are cautiously optimistic about our
current pedestal position.

I am personally enjoying this immensely for the time being, especially since
the Reserve Day, tomorrow, is my 71st birthday.  The thought of the
possibility of representing America in China, at this age, is truly
exciting.

We had particularly effective main sail trim today from Jim Thweatt, of West
Sacramento, California.  The wind was up and down in the 7-to-13 mph range,
and required constant changing of gears, due to the variations in wind
speed.  Jib trimming by David Burdette, of Baltimore, Maryland, was also
excellent, particularly in the need to frequently gybe the pole downwind in
gybing duels, where his trimming was flawless.  The competitors messed up
their gibes several times, and we gained on them every time.

Our new coach for this regatta (because Gordy Bowers was unable to accompany
us to this regatta, due to other obligations) is Anthony Kotoun, who is a
world-class coach, and whose assistance has been arranged for us by our good
friends, Jay Ecklund, and his son, Jeff Ecklund.  Anthony lives in Newport,
and really knows the local wind and current conditions, is a wonderful
student of the game, and has helped the team with a half dozen important
improvements, particularly in the areas of wind, current and strategy.

So, we are going to enjoy the moment, rest tomorrow, and be back at work on
the water on Thursday, to do the best we can.

Thank you for your support and good wishes.  It's great to know you are with
us in spirit.

Regards,
Bert Foster, Skipper
Paralympic Team Captain Hook

Register for Bert's daily e-mail messages at
http://www.paralympicteamcaptainhook.org/