Weathermark e-Blaster at wyc.org - January 23, 2007

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Wed Jan 23 10:18:36 CST 2008

Weathermark e-Blaster at wyc.org - January 23, 2007

This Issue
- Winter Seminars
- Boat Show
- Youth Sailing Classes, CUP, and Truck Donation
- First Annual Sink A Land Rover Event
- Mooring Fees
- Key West Anarchy
- Print Weathemark R.I.P.

Current Online Poll: Sailing Seminar Suggestions... http://www.WYC.org

WINTER SEMINARS
Beth Frampton is the official Seminar Czar, and she has a big show planned for 2008.
- February 17: North U - The Dave Perry will be conducting a full day seminar on Rules and Tactics. In boat dollars, this is a deal at $175 (skippers) and $100 (crew with skippers) for and entire day of Dave Perry instructing you how the rules work and how they effect your sailing tactics. Good information for anyone on the boat from a guy who knows our club and is the best in business at this topic.
- February 21: Topic TBA - This will be a casual evening social type seminar. Mark your calendar.
- March 20: Terry Foster - Crewing, Trimming, Tactics, Rules, and HandSailing tips from da Bear.
- April 17: Beginner Rules - A great seminar to get new crew up to speed for the season.
Check it out http://dnn.wyc.org/Seminars/2008WinterSeminars/tabid/268/Default.aspx

MPLS BOAT SHOW
Starts today and runs through Sunday. They are making an effort this year to have events of sailing interest. Gordy is doing some fine Youth and Ice Boat seminars during the week, Roger Swanson will speak tonight at 6:00pm on his sail of the NW Passage this past summer, and there's no shortage of cruising seminars.
Boatshow: http://www.minneapolisboatshow.com/
Seminars: http://www.minneapolisboatshow.com/attendees/features/seminars.aspx

YOUTH SAILING
Summer registration is online. New this year are keelboat classes and KinderPram classes for microsailors. Check it out, spread the word, make it happen.  www.WayzataSailing.org

SAILING CENTER C.U.P.
Have we asked you to attend enough city meetings over the past couple years? Well, there's at least one more, and it's important. Monday Feb 4th, we'll meet at WYC Clubhouse at 7:00pm. At WYC we'll watch the proceedings on the TV and when they get close to our time we'll saunter down to city hall to represent. Because kids will be present, chances are city hall will put us early on the agenda.

SUV DONATION
Are you replacing your towing vehicle?  Does your present truck, van or SUV have 50,000 miles left in it?   The Wayzata Community Sailing Center is looking for a donation of such a vehicle to replace their van.  The current van is approaching 200K miles and needs replacement.  Your donation would be for use rather than resale.  You will receive the full deductible value of your vehicle.  Contact Ernie at epbrody at earthlink.net

DOES ROVER FLOAT?
Wayzata Land Rover will be setting up shop at WYC during the Chili Open for test drives. All WYC members have been invited to come and take a Rover out for a test drive on the lake from 1-3pm on February 9th.  Really, they offered to let us take expensive toys we don't own out on the lake for a "test drive". Seriously, I'm not making this up. Clearly they have never attended a boat race at WYC. Maybe we'll set up some buoys for starts and roundings to show 'em how it's done. More info at... http://www.wyc.org/Rover.pdf

MOORING INVOICES
If you haven't sent your mooring payment in yet, we're nearing that time when we give your slip away. Pay online in seconds at www.intuitbillpay.com/wayzatayachtclub (you'll need your invoice number). You can also pay by check (until 2-15-08) and take a 2.5% discount for cash payment. Just a friendly reminder.

KATTACK AT KEY WEST
Props to Kattack for tracking Key West this week on Sailing Anarchy. Some great onsite LIVE reporting going on this week if you don't feel like getting any work done. http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showforum=30

PRINT WEATHERMARK
Has video killed the radio star? Looks like it. We're going to try and phase out the very expensive print weathermark and move to exclusively online news. You'll still be able to print out Steve's Weathermark (if you want) and read it on the couch, but you'll also be able to view archives and search for old stories. Look for notification (via postal mail) in the next couple weeks of this happening. And make sure you and your friends are registered for e-blasters to be notified when real news happens. We're also working on an all new website with fancy new features and "community tools" for 2008. Look for a gradual rollout of the new site starting...uh....now.
More at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB6Q_oycfQ

See you at Roger Swanson's NW Passage Seminar tonight! (6:00pm at the boat show)