[Capri25]Capri 25 Awards

Denise Eng Denise.Eng at rhumblinepartners.com
Thu Oct 16 12:03:40 CDT 2003

Hi everyone --

Award ballots have been mailed out to the boat owners so each boat can
vote on their choice for Boat of the Year, Rookie of the Year and Crew
of the Year.  For more information on these awards, check out the Capri
25 Web site:
http://www.wyc.org/capri25/fleet.htm#TROPHIES%20AND%20AWARDS.

Ballots are due by next Friday, Oct 24th.  If any owners haven't
recevied a ballot form, please let me know.  Each boat is allowed one
vote.

I'd like to congratulate the crew members who were nominated by their
boats for Crew of the Year (in alphabetical order):

    Belinda 'Barnie' Barnes, Quick Draw
    Nils Brennom, Code Blue
    Shaina Brown, Magic
    Dan McNamera, Mali Hudic
    Erik Peterson, Offline
    Sarah Pierre, Red Shift
    Sandi Reiser, Rock Lobster
    Terri Weitz, Persistence

Read on to hear why these individuals are so highly valued by their
skippers!
-----------------------

Belinda 'Barnie' Barnes, nominated by Pete Willenbring, Quick Draw

Barnie has been sailing on Quick Draw for the last 5 years.  She does a
great job, always shows up and is a real supporter.  She makes an effort
to get to know folks at the club and makes the extra effort to integrate
folks from other fleets into Capri events (plus she brought the
margarita ball to the raft-up party).   She gets people fired up to do
things before and after the race.
She may not by the most skilled sailor out there, but she does her job
well.  She is always learning more and more. She likes to sail and sail
hard.  She gives it her all to make it work.

-----------------------
Nils Brennom, nominated by Code Blue

Nils always participates in events of the Capri fleet be it the parties
during the sailing season or off.  He is proud to stick up for the
sailors in our fleet when others try to knock us down.  He takes care of
the boat he sails on and will help or just give advice on what others
can do to make their boats perform better.  Nils enjoys the fleet and is
always excited to get out there and race another race.
Nils makes every race a learning experience for himself.  He points out
his mistakes and learns from them.  Whenever asked he is willing to jump
on another boat and teach you what he knows - even if it is just a
question on the dock.  After a race you always find Nils talking to
someone replaying the race with his hands explaining what the boat did
and why.  Another teaching example was volunteering to lecture for the
advanced beginner sailor course in the spring.  I think a lot of people
learned a lot from those few short hours and were excited to get out
there on the water afterward.

Nils always shows excellent sportsmanship no matter what the outcome of
the race - congratulating the winner and giving a 'there's always next
race' to those who did not perform as well.
And last but certainly not least, not a race can go by without seeing
Nils at the yacht club afterward schoomizing with the best of them.
Heck, it is rare he doesn't join the after parties at the Wayzata Bar
and Grill or Sunsets.  You can mention him to almost anyone and they'll
know who you are talking about.

-----------------------
Shaina Brown, nominated by Lew Sacks and Dutch Bull, Magic

Magic, #259, would like to nominate Shaina Brown as Crew of the Year.
Although only 19, she has been sailing for years graduating from working
for Superior Charters in Bayfield and the big boat programs to the Magic
program here at WYC.

Shaina has been with us all year crewing for Lew Sacks, the "Magic"
partner who drives on Thursday nights and Dutch Bull, the "Magic"
partner who drives on Sundays.

She is a full-time student at the U of M with a busy academic,
extracurricular, and social calendar and she also works at 3M yet she
has been steadfast in her dedication to our Program.  She was there in
the Spring working for days on commissioning our "new" boat and never
misses a race.  She is always "up" and willing to do anything asked of
her.

She is absolutely hardcore in her desire to learn more about the sport
from Magic's "pointy end" to overall race strategy.  She works hard at
becoming a stronger sailor overall as well as to "connect" with other
members of the fleet and sailing community in general.

She's good, she's fun, and she's great to have around and that's why
we're nominating our Magic crewmate (pun intended) for the distinctive
honor of "Crew of the Year".

-----------------------
Dan McNamera, nominated by Matt Sherek, Mali Hudic

Everyone in the club knows Dan. He has been a part of the WYC sailing
community for years. He is also a big Bayfield racer as well as at The
Lake Harriet Yacht Club. Dan sails primarily in the Capri fleet and is
well known and well liked by all. Dan also possesses a teaching spirit,
meaning, he takes the time each time I have someone new on the boat to
run them through their responsibilities and to let them make their own
mistakes and to learn from them. He is also willing to put in the extra
time needed to get the boat going. Everyone knows of the problems my
boat has run into this year - Dan has been there every time to help do
whatever needs to be done to ensure the program keeps moving forward.

I think the main reason that I'd like to nominate Dan for Crew of the
Year is that he has learned the value of patience. Dan is a fierce
competitor and in previous years has expected everyone to be at the same
competitive level as he is - some are, some aren't which caused some
friction. Dan has realized that people learn at their own pace and has
allowed each team member to make mistakes and only after does he tell
them what they did wrong and why. This has allowed every team member to
feel like they are contributing and to become a valued and functioning
member of my team.

I learn from Dan on a daily basis and feel he deserves to be Crew of the
Year.

-----------------------
Erik Peterson, nominated by Corny Boersma, Offline

Erik has sailed two days per week on a Capri for the last three years.
Besides always trying to figure out how to make the boat go faster, he
will not hesitate to spend his time teaching the new crew how to do
their jobs and how to sail. Erik would rather sail a race, without
pushing the rules to our advantage.

-----------------------
Sarah Pierre, nominated by Kai Kroll, Red Shift

I would like to nominate the Red Shift foredecker - Sarah Pierre
(nicknames include, but not limited to "Quarter Pint" and "Carrie").
-- Capri fleet camaraderie and enthusiasm:  She loves the fleet and
always wants to join in a raft-up.  She started racing only on
Thursdays, but now doesn't miss a Sunday race either.
-- A desire to learn and teach sailing: This is only her second year of
racing, but she has learned unbelievably fast.  She borrowed racing
books and studied hard.  She has also trained others to be foredeckers.
Lastly, on her own initiative, she has learned to set and trim the
spinnaker and jib to fulfill her desire to be cross trained.
-- Great sportsmanship:  She is tough and competitive, yet a true
sportsman.  Win or lose, she chats up the competitors.
-- Sailing primarily in the Capri 25 fleet:  She exclusively sails in
the Capri-25 fleet.
-- Very high level of schmoozability:  She defines schmoozability.

-----------------------
Sandi Reiser, nominated by Bethany Buchanan, Rock Lobster

Sandi Reiser is a spinnaker trimmer on Rock Lobster.  She never misses a
Thursday night race, crews for Persistence when they are short on
weekends, sings and plays guitar at Capri 25 parties (on land), is the
life of the party at the raft-up's--goes swimming in her underwear.
Patiently listens to other boat crew's monologues detailing every tactic
of their race for hours on end.  Has been spotted belly dancing on the
front of a boat after a Thursday night race.  Crewed in Bayfield on the
Lobster for race week despite having a scare with fluttering in her
heart the week before.  She makes a special effort to be warm and
welcoming to all Capri 25 sailors, male and female.

-----------------------
Terri Weitz, nominated by Steve Truax, Persistence

If there was an award for "Rookie Crew of the Year" Terri would win
hands down. Always arriving early to help rig the boat; up to any
challenge as crew (even when it means being the only crew!); trimming
jib, spinnaker and keeping an eye out for the competition (especially
when we are on port tack). And of course she helps put the boat away
when we return to the slip. Did I mention that she also coordinates
impromptu raft parties? On numerous occasions Terri has encouraged other
boats in the fleet to join "Persistence" for social hour on the water.
Rumor has it that she has also explained to Ernie that a Sonar is just a
Capri wannabe. Beyond sailing Terri has volunteered at club functions
including being a member of the 2003 Silent Auction Committee.