[Capri25] Re: Match Racing Recap

dallas dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Thu May 25 07:32:11 CDT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Hansen
  To: 'Dallas Johnson'
  Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:38 PM
  Subject: Match Racing Recap

  Can you send this to the Sonar and Capri lists as well ?  thank you -

  Match Racing Recap-

  It was a beautiful Monday Night out on the bay, light air, but warm and sunny which was nice after freezing on a no-wind Sunday.  We had two flights of J22's running, former local gal Katy Pilley Lovell made a nice guest appearance on Nimmers new J22 as she is on her way to the prestigious Santa Maria Cup in Annapolis, MD.   http://www.santamariacup.org/.  We wish her good luck.

  Even with the light air we ran about 10 practice starts in shifty bay conditions, I kept the line tight which made for lot's of light air boat handling, of course our local rock star Lars Hansen with the crew of Nick Anderson and Johnny P had big huge roll tacks and gybes, always fun to watch.

  Our own Fred Sommers and Ernie Brodie came out in our little whaler to practice their umpiring skills, it's great to see the program growing! Thanks Fred and Ernie!

  As you may know, Match Racing is fully recognized by the Wayzata YC board and is still a initiative to grow at our club.  I invite all of you to get your teams organized and come out to play- now that we have a few coach boats and resources we can run multiple fleets at once.  So all you Sonar, Capri, J24 and other OD boats please feel free to come out and learn match racing. It is by far the best way to learn superior boat handling and of course get a big rules boost!!

  Next week, we are running the match racing on Wednesday 31st evening start time 6:30 in the bay again. I will have the Bailiff and Whaler out, I can take spectators if you would like to watch-- but once again please feel free to put your team together and join us.

  June 3-4 we are once again hosting the Richardson Cup Qualifier- we will have some of the top US Sailing judges and umpires on the water making calls-- the event will be held on J22's this year because the actual Richardson Cup will sailed on J22's at the beautiful buffalo YC on Lake Erie.  http://www.buffaloyachtclub.org/

  We still have room for teams, but space is filling fast, please call or email me if you're interested.

  Hope to see you on the water Wednesday night May 31 at 6:15

  Sean Hendrickson
  612-325-1954
  mailto:sean at electric-apple.com