[Capri25] A Note from Carmella in Rochester NY

Carmella Zagone carmella_zagone at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 14:16:53 UTC 2007

Hi Capri Fleet,

  I am in Rochester with Bert and crew for the Disabled World Championship at the Rochester Yacht Club.  What an event!  Over 400 sailors from all over the world, all with physical challenges that would bring others to a screeching halt, but not these sailors!

  On a Capri-related note, we met Megan and Pete at the RYC, who crewed on Dragon Lady at the first Capri regatta.  (2004?  Is the the 4th Annual Capri Intergalactic Championship?)  You may recall that Megan was the lovely foredecker, and Pete, at that time, was her fiance.  They are now married, and have a beautiful 4-week-old daughter.  They are now owners of a Melges 24, of which there are only two at RYC, so they sail in the PHRF fleet.  They have nothing but praise for the Wayzata Yacht Club, and great memories of the regatta.  You will recall that Dragon Lady won the regatta without a single bullet.  It can be done!

  We are having a great time, and the goal here is to qualify the U.S. as a country to send a Sonar team to the Paralympic Games in China.  To do that, one U.S. boat has to finish in the top six of the countries that have not yet qualified.  It should not be difficult, but something fluky could cause it not to happen and that would be tragic.  Here is a link to the website for the event.  http://2007ifdsworlds.com/

  I miss you guys!  I hope to be back for the Frostbite Cup.

  Carmella

  PS.  Did you see the Sailor of the Week feature on the US Sailing website this week?  It's Bert!  How cool is that!

Dutch Bull <DBull at Northernim.com> wrote:
      This year the regatta lunches will be coming from Cub Food in Plymouth. I am looking for a volunteer who can stop by Cub between 8:00 & 8:30 and have the lunches at the club by 8:45. Please contact me if you can do this. I also need a firm count to give to Cub 2 days in advance. This means by noon tomorrow for Friday lunches. Contact me now if you want box lunches for $7.00 per person that will include a sandwich, potatoe salad, a pickle and a cookie.
  We are still working on tee shirts. If they happen and you want shirts you will need to have ordered them. Our target is $15 each. We need to know sizes today or there is no guarantee we will have the sizes you want. Please return email me your order today.
  Last, the team from "Joy Ride" coming in from the Green Bay area will be here in time to race Thursday night, but not in time to set up their boat. I am looking for 4 vacancies on boats so they can go out and experience "bumper boats on the bay". Let me know if you have 1 or more openings and I will send them your way.

  Dutch Bull
Northern Iron & Machine
Ph 651-778-3338
Fx 651-771-1292