[Capri25] Backstay Tension

Glenn Selvin ghselvin at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 30 16:58:47 UTC 2008

Craig, we've gone to a very powerful triple cascade so as to get away from
that pesky headstay sag.  BUT, the first leg of the cascade is wire, with a
block swaged on the end.  So, if the spectra were to let go, the rig would
only go forward a tiny bit, before that swaged on block were to hit the
block at the end of the backstay turnbuckle, and that'd be as far forward as
the rig would go...  that's our safety net.

As to the J24 system you describe?  Precisely what we do with our Cal 20's
out here...  cut a slot in the hull to deck joint, slide through a tang, and
then through bolt the tang to the bow.  The headstay now not only grabs the
factory fitting, but its now grabbing the through bolted tang as well.  When
I install that tang, the hole in the tang simply lines up with the factory
fitting's hole, and thus, the headstay attaches to both.

I know the factory has the one hole... which scares me.  And why the factory
fitting wasn't about 8" longer so that it could be bolted in with three
bolts instead of just the one, is beyond me, except that, well, its a
Catalina!