[Capri25] Backstay Tension

Smith, Craig A Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Tue Dec 30 16:47:37 UTC 2008

Ken Reiff  wrote:
>Has anyone in the Wayzata fleet improved their backstay adjusting
arrangement with a more powerful
> cascade?  And has anyone ever beefed up the headstay piece?

I believe about half the Capri 25's at WYC have the original factory
configuration with a single bolt in the hull/deck joint supporting the
forestay.  The others have a tang down the leading edge of the bow with
3 bolts -  just like the J24.  I believe J24 hardware can be used on a
Capri 25, perhaps with modification.

We never had a problem aboard Looscrew until we T-boned another boat
(long story - I wasn't driving).  This left a hole in the bow - and the
perfect opportunity to upgrade to the J24 system.  Unfortunate the
repair restored the original factory condition: 1 bolt.  This worked
fine until a windy day when the rig shuddered with a gigantic THOWNNNNG
sound (I was driving).  The front of the foredeck had lifted off the
hull about a foot!   We dropped the headsail and it closed up to about 6
inches.

I think the factory configuration might be okay but, once damaged,
cannot be made strong enough.  The J24 system is much stronger.  That's
what Looscrew  has now.  I recommend Ken go with that if he has the
opportunity.

I don't believe any of the Capri's at WYC have upgraded backstays.  I
think this might be explicitly illegal at our club despite the obvious
advantages and the low cost of conversion.  If you do this, I recommend
some type of "stopper" so you don't lose the rig should the cascade fail
(or inadvertently be allowed to run free).