[Capri25] Water in Hull

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Sep 8 16:20:51 CDT 2009

#3272 isn't so bad as I recall. I recall that boats were once weighed in our fleet and (I think) only one boat was under 3k. I don't recall any boats being near the 2,785 figure on the website. FYI, 500 lbs is 70 gallons of water, so it can't be just water. Was the scale calibrated?

Capri's have an oak frame the keel sits in. If the bilge remains wet, this will soak up water and be heavy before it eventually rots.

Our boat went through an extensive multi-year campaign to waterproof the deck and all places water could work it's way to the bilge, including cutting an access point so we could monitor water ingress and sponge it out after a wet day of sailing. Eventually the bilge became dusty dry, which was a good thing.

Less weight is critical to C25 boatspeed.

dallas

Dallas Johnson Marketing Services
952-935-3465w    952-931-9108h