[Capri25] Capri 25 Updates

Odell Tuttle otuttle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:46:31 CDT 2010

Gentlemen, start your engines!

By now, most of you should be geared up to race the tune-up race (this
Sunday at 2:00pm).

Below are some notes from the Fleet Captain meeting.  Please give it a read,
as there are a few important items in here.

Please feel free to correct my errors, if you see any.

See you all out there!

Thanks,
OT
*
*
*
*

*RACING & SCORING*
*Starting Line*
There will no longer be two pins at the start.  All boats will use the same
pin and committee boat as the starting line.  This change will greatly
reduce the amount of time required by the RC to arrange the course and get
the race off.  It will also increase the quality of the course relative to
wind shifts.  As the beamiest fleet, I'm sure there will be photographers
lined up for our first few starts.  Remember to smile ...and keep your legs
in!
*
*
*Course Length*
In their continuous effort to better serve our fleets, the RC has
communicated that they will do their best to increase course lengths this
year.  However, my idea of doing a portage across Big Island is still being
considered.

*Trapezoid Courses*
Despite being somewhat more difficult to organize, everyone appears to be
pleased with the trapezoid courses (Fred said they're
actually parallelograms, but we'll try not to let that bother us).  If there
are upwards of 85 boats, the RC will do their best to run a trap course.

*Scoring*
Make sure you adjust scores ASAP.  If you discover that you were not scored
correctly, please contact me immediately - even while still at the club.
 It's easier for the RC to make those changes on the spot.  If you can't
find me among the masses, you can call my cell: 651.925.7728.  You can also
send the info via email.  Please note that results *CANNOT BE CHANGED* after
two weeks following the end of a series.  However, if the scoring error is
favorable to *my *boat, please disregard - it's not who wins or loses, but
how you play the game.

*Dues & Scoring*
In order to be a qualified boat, you must pay your dues one week prior to
racing.  If you discover that you're not being scored, this is probably the
case.  Please contact me asap if you aren't being scored.  If you pay
double, you can be scored twice, but both will be the same score.

*Participation Credit*
If a race is abandoned, please make sure you get your number to the race
committee via radio, hail, or simply by walking up to them at the club
following the race.  You may also try skype, webex, or instant messenger.

*Protest Arbitration*
It's sometimes difficult to track down the arbitrator following a race.  If
you've protested someone, and can't find the arbitrator, please look for the
cell number hanging on the wall near the protest box.  Of course,
threatening to give that same cell number to telemarketers may improve your
position in the arbitration hearing.  ...you didn't hear that from me.

*Rules*
All boats must have a copy of The Racing Rules of Sailing on board.  It is
expected that you've read it, but may also be used for pleasureful reading
during light-air postponements.

*4-Boat Length Safety Zone at S-Marks*
Don't mess with boats rounding the S-Mark if you aren't rounding it too.
 You need to keep clear - stay 4-boats away.  However, if you're competing
with that boat and also rounding the same mark... normal rules apply, and
you are encouraged to mess with them.
*
*
*2-Boat Length Safety Zone at Committee Boat*
Don't pass on port within two boat-lengths of the RC boat during the
starting sequence.  They hate this.  If you do it, I'm told you'll be pulled
over by Minnesota Highway Patrol and issued a citation for scaring the heck
out of the Race Committee.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*CLUB AND GROUNDS*
*Don't Drink & Drive*
The club will be stepping up monitoring and enforcement of people leaving
the club.  Nobody should leave the club behind the wheel after having "one
too many".  Find someone to drive you home, leave your car at the club,
sleep it off on the couch, or whatever you need to do.  Just don't drive.
 The phone number for a taxi is hanging on the wall in the club.  Finally,
as the Fleet Captain, I'll give you my phone number... if you can't find a
ride, just call me, and I'll help find someone who can drive us both home.
 ;-)

*Quiet Hours*
We need to be respectful of our residential neighbors, so starting this
year, no noise will be tolerated after 10:00pm.  ...especially loud music.
 Thanks Lickety Split crew - you're ruining it for everyone.

*Parking*
Don't ever park in front homes in the residential area.  They hate this.
 Your car will be crushed and recycled into bow pulpits.

*MISC*
*Wine in Wayzata Bay*
This was a huge success in 2009, and will be held again.  The fleet with the
most pledges will win a case of booze.  The boat with $500 in pledges will
get free registration.

*The Sailing Center*
To answer questions about how the Sailing Center is being funded: The
Sailing Center is a separate entity.  All of the work on that facility is
being paid for by new dock revenue (created from the Sailing Center), it is
not subsidized by the club.

*Trophy Photos*
If you don't like the names printed on your boat's annual trophy photo,
please contact the club and have the data in the scoring system corrected.
 The text for the trophy photos comes from that system.  This is especially
important for the women's series.  If you have any further questions about
this, I would suggest contacting Bert or Dallas.

*RC Ride-along*
As part of Race Committee development, Blake would like to have some of his
team ride-along and participate in the racing.  Please look for these
requests.  I highly encourage you to invite them on your boat, as I'm sure
there is some benefit to having your own on-board race committee.

--
Odell Tuttle  __/)__
Chief Technology Officer