[Capri25] Rudder Post

Doug Dickerson Doug at Molgren.com
Mon Mar 1 20:13:10 CST 2010

West does not have bushing the best is Duran.  Some of us have made bushings
but the diameter of the post is different for each Capri. (Yea right. just
ask Steve Hanson who assumed they were all the same diameter)  Taxi, Tsunami
and Redshift have made bearings but you don't need to.  The reason we made
bushings is because we all had such a large slant in our post.   Tsunami was
about 12 degree off.  The joke is what day your Capri was made.  Offline was
made on Wednesday it is parallel with the keel.  You can have bushing made
but you will have to send in your rudder and post.

It really is not necessary.

KISS

What I would do is gouge it.

1.       Rick it real easy just gouge it.   Epoxy.

1.       Use a long small extension grinder. wire cleaner brush to clean and
ruff up the surface of the tube.  I have one if you want to borrow.

2.       Then you wax the rudder post twice.  Make sure it paste waxed
really good.  Leave the wax on.  Don't puff.

3.       Then use a mid grade silica West 406-407 silica with the epoxy no
need for the graphite. About peanut butter consistency.  Gouge the tube and
post.

4.       Then put the rudder post back in and twist and move up and down to
get good coverage.  Then let set.   The epoxy will drip on to the rudder so
have rags ready.

5.       Once it sets you break the rudder free.

I have done three boats this way and it works great.

Doug