[Capri25] 130

derspenz1 at aol.com derspenz1 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 19:48:11 CST 2010

 Hi,

I found #130 in a state of semi-dilapidation in SF bay about a year ago.  I tracked down the owner bought the boat and have been restoring ever since.  By now all rot is gone courtesy of new bulkheads, repaired floor, new Cruising Concepts windows which don't leak and much re-bedding of thru-deck hardware. All rigging is replaced and all lines except the spinnaker gear which I'll save for later.  I got some documentation with the boat.  An old surveyor's report stated that in her original guise of Hot Fudge (memorable name) she was an overall winner of Bayfield Race week.  Is there any way to verify this for H/N 130 (1981) with the WYC?  Moreover, since I'll be sailing much more often next season, when much less work is going to be needed, I want to restore and refine the sailing systems.  Since prior to acquiring the boat I was largely single handing my old boat, so I'm retaining the jib furler for now - I'm still going to be short handed which can be lively on the bay.  Therefore, could any kind soul provide me with recommendations for replacement part numbers for my original mainsheet system, traveller & vang.  All these are laargely worn out.  The original double groove headstay foil is long gone and the attachment for a second forestay has been cut off the stemhead.  My documentation states that HF had a barber hauler system and I wonder if anyone would care to enlighten me regarding which genoa track is best for the smaller 130 & 110 jibs and how to rig the barber hauler if anyone uses it.  I have the both original mains, the dacron main is quite serviceable although it needed a new panel early on due to having been used a nest site by some darn bird.  The mylar sail is delaminated.but on the occasions I have dared to use it the shape and performance has been great.  Shame it is shot and my sailmaker suggests can't be fixed.  Any off -the-shelf recommendations for mains?

By the way after all the work on Hot Fudge -she lost her name due to terrible painting by a previous owner- SAILS WONDERFULLY.  Very speedy and very fun,even single handed,  For those wondering,  you get very good at watching the afternoon breeze building , do the old heave-to, and then reefing fast when sailing SFbay short handed, and one of the first things I did was get a boom kicker which makes the reefing process much less precarious.  I would like to race this boat later on probably season after next.

Any and all comments & info welcomed!

Ian Spencer

San Francisco CA