[Capri25] CApri25 forward track

Dan McNamara mcnamara at visi.com
Fri Oct 15 13:03:29 CDT 2010

Russ,

Rule IV, B, 1 States:  Location and placement of deck hardware may be altered as desired.   The best way to figure out were to put inboard tracks is to put your blade up at the dock and rotate your boat so there is air flowing across it nicely.  With your hand move the clew around until you have a nice shape.  Make a note of how far inboard, fore and aft the lead angle is.  This will get you in the ball park of where you should put your tracks.

Depending on where your halyards and other rigging are run you may have limited space to install the tracks.  The more inboard the tracks are the higher you will be able to point but the harder it will be to stay in the groove.  The longer the track you install the more adjustment you will have fore and aft.  Most Capri's have at least a one foot long track mounted near the shrouds above the windows (on the same plane) or the flat part of the deck inboard (your halyards may be in the way).

Once you figure out where you would like them, make a measurement from the bow and mark the other side.  I am a big believer in wide backing plates, fender washers and drilling an oversized hole (like a 1/2 inch) and filling it with epoxy (http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding-hardware/) letting it cure and drilling a slightly smaller hole then your screw, so the threads cut into the epoxy.  Even with this tight fit, I gob it up with 3M 5200.  For the backing plate I use a flat aluminum bar from Home Depot.   Stainless nuts, bolts and washers.  This may seam like overkill but the more solidly you bed your hardware the less it will flex and the more time you will have before it starts to leak.  When it does, you have sealed the core preventing bigger problems.

When using West or Marine Tex epoxy I mark everything with pencil or sharpie.  Then tape the area off with clear packing tape after cleaning with a solvent.  Duck tape works well to keep the epoxy from running out the bottom of the hole.  Once the epoxy has cured, score your tape line before pealing it up.  Sand off any sharp edges.

Good luck with the project.

Dan McNamara
Technical committee chair