[Capri25] Capri's and Zebras.

Doug Dickerson Doug at Molgren.com
Mon Sep 20 09:25:51 CDT 2010

I drilled three holes in the bottom of Fly By Night's next to the keel. ala
Red Shift.   Almost 4 gallons of water came out.  The water is trapped
between the core layers. all though from the top hull it's dry as a bone.
This liquid stained my pole barn concrete floor all the way to the drain 35
feet.  Greg, I wish it was spilled beer.  I think somebody tipped over the
bucket.

I recommend everyone to drill holes in the bottom of the hull in the fall to
dry out their core.  It has nothing to do with ZMs. The only Capri (9 out of
10) that I have drilled that did not have water drain from the bottom of the
hull was Molly. and we all know how meticulous Mark is.

I think Greg is right that it mostly rainwater but that water breaks down
the inner fiberglass, blisters, keel support and rots out the core.  A
gallon of water weighs 8.3 lbs.  If you want to displace 25 extra pounds
around the race course leave the water in.

It's really easy to fill with epoxy and syringe in the spring.

I have heard rumors that John on Phoenix will be giving a symposium on how
to drop the keel and fix the rotten keel supports.

Doug Dickerson

  _____