[Capri25] anchors away my boys

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 11:49:30 CST 2013

Since Dallas has provided the J/22 specification, I’m going to chime in
here.  The Sonar specification is

“(v) One anchor of not less than 3.6 kg in weight and with not less than 30
m of continuous line of not less than 8 mm in diameter”

3.6 kg works out to 7.92 lb.  30 m is 97.5 ft.  8 mm is ½ inch.

At IFDS Worlds in 2012 they decided to weigh (determine the weight of)
anchors among the competitors.  Many were using a folding anchor with 4
flukes that stows very nicely.  However, they weigh about 3.4 kg.  It was
amusing to watch people running around looking for 8 lb anchors.  This is
the top of world competition where people shave the rule as closely as they
can (sometimes read cheat).  Sometimes they get tripped up.

Captain Hook carried an 8 lb Danforth and 100 ft of ½ inch rode.  I will
point out that we carried it in the bilge by the keel and if we had to get
it out we would have had to remove David Burdette’s bench; not an easy task
even at the dock.

The purpose of carrying an anchor is safety.  Have I used mine in an
emergency on Lake Minnetonka?  I can recall at least three storms where I
used it and was glad I had it.  Mine had 6 ft of chain in addition to the
above.  It held my both my 4000 lb Morgan 22 and my 2200 lb Sonar very well.
A Capri 25 weighs about 50% more than a Sonar.  My opinion is that the
reason for an anchor minimum rule is to improve safety in addition to making
weight uniform across all competitors.

Ernest