[Capri25] racing feedback

Dan McNamara wycmcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:49:16 CDT 2020

Herman,

Racing this year is better than expected.  Not as good as “normal” but far better than nothing.

Pros:
Splitting the fleets into two weeknights is OK because we can’t hang out after anyway.
Loving the dip starts (no I flag)
Nice to have the double handed option on any race.

Needs improvement:
Start the race on time
The course and line do not need to be perfect.  Taking advantage of a drifting committee boat is part of racing (be by the pin before the start).
Need to announce “no spinnaker”, the direction around Big Island, where the start area will be and other all fleet information early and often.
Maybe a set time (15 minutes before the race).
Saturday it was hard to see our committee boat and get to the the start area on time (from where I would have expected the start to be given the wind).
Sunday I could not hear where the Start area would be (on VHF), no buoy in the water
Miss the flags.
On windy days it is hard to hear announcements on the VHF
Longer start lines.
Should not be shorter than 5 Capri 25s when we have 11 racing.
Amended SI’s imply that all finishes are between the windward mark and the offset and do not say it can be a mark and committee boat to weather (even though that is the obvious intention of the RC).
The Club is soft!!!!
Sunday July 19th was a great day for racing.  Consensus was the only boat near the Committee boat when it was abandoned for big gusts.  We had lifejackets on and were rigged for the conditions.  Without boats to race against, we can’t know if we sacrificed too much speed for control.  All we could do is push the boat too hard and practice recovering.
The feeling is “the race committee will take any reason to abandon a race”. I wonder how many did not bother to show up or leave the bay (Off Line, Rampage, Tsunami…) because they knew it would be abandoned?
If there is not the right wind for a “perfect”  W/L race, it would be nice if the race committee gave us some other appropriate course (random buoy, medium distance, start and finish in Wayzata Bay, go around big island or a buoy…).
It is hard to get good crew, even harder to keep them when there is wind to race and the Race Committee abandons.
When we go back to normal:
Start order should be based on participation of the prior year.
Let the most active fleets pick when they want to start each series.
Why should S2 7.9’s and J24’s have the first Sunday starts when they have 0-3 boats show up?
How did the Capri’s get bumped behind the J70’s on Sunday in the non-amended SI’s?
Saturday races should start and finish in the bay.
Time on the water will be about the same.
If MYC is racing set a gate we have to go around (and not through their course).
If there is not enough wind to sail around Big Island, send us around a buoy or keep us in the bay.
Find a way to give us a race…
Make sure the beer gets turned on when the Pandemic is over

Thanks,

Dan McNamara
Capri 25 #291