[Ensign] Bob Slocum Memorial Family Fun Regatta and Picnic [Update]

Andy Spence-Parsons andy.spence-parsons at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 20:55:43 CDT 2021

Bob Slocum Memorial Family Fun Regatta and Picnic [Update]
Regatta Chair -  Matthew Thompson

So glad to see the requests for more information for this year's event. Apparently you're as excited as we are to get kids sailing, back on the water, and returning to the events that make us smile. Unfortunately a number of barriers remain in our way to running Slocum as usual. Personally, I've been challenged to feel out how the event should be run, and needed to be run. To keep things fun but also keep folks safe.

Due to many hurdles - from food (our fearless licensed grill master Steve Bren is unavailable), to vaccines (many of our young family members are still unable to be vaccinated and would be at risk), and losses (I'll be unavailable, a former WS director lost their youngest to Leukemia this past week) - it seemed insurmountable to run Slocum as we typically know it. With Slocum postponed to 2022, it didn't feel right that we didn't celebrate, even if I was unable to pull together the event this year.

In honor of Bob Slocum, his love of sailing, and in the spirit of the event - I ask you all to participate in your own way this Saturday without the organized event. Someone in your circle hasn't been sailing before. Invite a new sailor, family friend, family member, co-worker, or other individual you are comfortable with aboard your boat this weekend. Join the Big Island race or go for a cruise. In this way we can all do our part to share sailing, our love for the sport, and remember Bob as the ambassador by being one ourselves. By self-organizing we can safely tailor an outing that works best for where people are currently at COVID and otherwise. Even if it's just handing the tiller to your crew this weekend, I hope you can join us by sharing a new sailing experience with someone aboard your boat.

Matthew Thompson,
WYC Family Member and WS Director