[J22-Fleet 1] **Notice of Vote - Ballot Attached - April29/2007 - 12pm (noon) Voting Deadline**

Michael Bowers msbowers_55431 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 15:57:33 UTC 2007

Being a relative new comer to the fleet, I view the Combined Fleet 1
series as the real fleet championship.  That series has lots of races
and only spans 5 weeks.  It has the best wind and most consistent
participation.  In terms of competition, that series has become the
focus for our boat and I think we should do everything we can to keep
that series going.

A hint to winning the WYC championship, it is an attendance race.
However, it takes a lot more than just showing up.  You've got to find
the best sailors for your team, get them to become Senior or Family
members of WYC and train with them so they can fill in as driver when
you're out of town on the family vacation for 3 weekends.  Average
points for the one or two weekends for an NAs isn't going to be as big
a factor.

Some may argue that bringing in "Ringers" is unfair, but I would argue
that it brings the best sailors into our fleet, encourages crews to
upgrade their memberships and has proven to heighten the
competitiveness of our fleet.  I for one love seeing Noeller or Nils at
the helm, racing against the college hotshots that are home for the odd
weekend, or seeing a J24 or E boat sailor grabbing the tiller.  Winning
the WYC championship is even more a 'team' victory than a typical
regatta.

To sum up, I'm still not a fan of average points.  You shouldn't get a
finish position for a race where you didn't compete.  However, if it
eases people's concerns for their standings and allows them to travel
off the lake, then I would cede that point.  As I said, it really won't
change anything--just as drop races in regattas don't, but for some
reason people still love them.

Eh, too much thinking.  See you all at the Ice Breaker.  By the way,
Laser racing started last night, and it was a blast!

Mike