[J22-Fleet 1] Waterline

Michael Bowers msbowers_55431 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 16:35:07 CST 2007

Do you mean exposed fiberglass?  Gelcoat should be fine, you've just
got to wash it once in a while.  Assuming you'll be keeping your boat
on a lift, I'd rather have the gelcoat then bottom paint.  Chalky
anti-fouling paint is fairly rough and the smoother teflon impregnated
paints don't stick very well and often start peeling after a season or
two.  Roger Carlson--chime in here.

As to checking shapes, I think you'll find that most of the J22's are
down in Glencoe in a barn.  I don't have the full details of
where...you'd have to check with Dave Brasch or someone that tows their
boat there.  I would imagine that if you call a few of the boat owners,
they'll give you permission to go take some measurements of their
boats.

My final 2 cents, shaping a keel is more of an art than a science.  It
is critical to get the 2 sides symetric or you'll get nasty vortices
off the keel that will disrupt the rudder.  I'm very much a "do it
yourselfer", but shaping the keel is something I'd hire out to a select
few people (Fred Scroth from TX or John Pratt in MA to name a
couple)rather do myself.

Mike