[J22-Fleet 1] Update - End of Season Highlights - WYC Banquet

George george at pcspeed.com
Thu Nov 8 07:00:18 UTC 2007

http://www.wyc.org/Results/_borders/nav-images/header-j22.jpg

J22 Fleet # 1

WYC Annual Meeting and Banquet

The big event us upon us.  Notice went out late - so be sure to get your
RSVP in ASAP.

Annual Meeting
November 10, 2007, 4:30pm,
Mtka. Sheraton
We have a bylaw vote scheduled.
 <http://www.wyc.org/bylaw.pdf> See a PDF of changes with overview, exact
wording, and comparison chart.

Banquet
November 10, 2007, 5:00pm,
Mtka. Sheraton
 <http://www.wyc.org/Banquet-07.pdf> RESERVATION FORM

Banquet Slideshow!
Racing, Cruising, Partying, Socialize, Fixing, Playing, Whatevering  -
Please e-mail screen sized images (under150k) to wycpictures2007 at gmail.com
Questions? Contact Tom Verburgt at the above address or via the log book.

WSF Auction

Donate Stuff to the Auction  - Deadline today - Mary Foster
<mailto:mary at thefosters.org> mary at thefosters.org

Season Championship

Did you know that the 2007 season championship came down to a 3 way tie ?
It does not get any closer than that.  Congratulations to Jappa and team on
1311 Norwegian Woody on winning the tie breaker and the Fleet # 1 season
championship.

Here are some comments from Districts Champion Mike Bowers on J22 # 963:

The '07 season can be summed up in two words, close racing.  The lack of
cooperation from the wind and weather reduced the number of races
significantly, but the 3-way tie to finish the fleet championship speaks
volumes to the close quarters racing and hard fought battles that were waged
during the precious few races sailed.  For me, the two most exciting moments
were the last leg of both the fleet championship series and the Districts.
Both times there were series results hanging on every tack, with leads
flip/flopping several times during the leg.

In the fleet champ race, Rocket Dog held us off by half a boat length at the
finish line, sending the series into a tie with 1311 and 820.

In the districts we managed to cross the finish line just ahead of a massive
(lucky) wind shift that sent our nearest competitor back just enough places
to give us the win.  Those are the moments that take my breath away, but
what keeps me coming back is the competitors that show up every week for
hard, clean racing that force our team to improve.

It is a great pleasure to be a part of J22 Fleet 1.

Sunset Series

Congratulations to team 1543 Oranje, who won what many think is the most
competitive J22 series - the G and T series on Thursday nights.  (30) J22s
scored in that series, giving us the largest fleet at WYC.  Congratulations
to John and Kristin Peterson for a job well done, and way to go Fleet # 1
for an outstanding turnout.

J22 Districts

Team 963 bested a competitive group of (18) J22s to win the 2007 J22
Districts for the Evergreene Cup.  It was a beautiful weekend for racing,
with some very challenging conditions.  As usual, you needed speed and
smarts to end up near the top.  We followed racing with J22 Friends and
Family night on Saturday evening.  We had a great turnout with everyone
bringing their kids down to the club.they were everywhere and it was a great
thing to see.  Face painting, fun food, and the hit of the night - the
jumper - all made for a great time.  Thanks to Sean Hendrickson for picking
up the jumper, and to everyone who helped to make this highlight of the
regatta.

J22 North Americans

Congratulations to the J22 fleet #1 members for sending the single largest
group from one club to the J22 North American Championship in Cleveland.
This is a huge testament to our fleet and I congratulate everyone of you who
made the journey and represented Fleet #1 and WYC.

Women's Series

Fleet #1 continues to lead the way with women at the helm, with Bandit, She
Might, Rocket Dog, and Shadowfax regularly turning out with female dominated
crews.  Congratulations to J22 # 670 Bandit for winning Women's Big Island
series and the Women's Bay Series.  Keep up the good work ladies J

Frostbite Cup

Did we really have (10) J22s out for the last race of the year ?  Once again
that puts us at the top of the heap when it comes to turnout.  After months
of sailing, it is so great to see that everyone is still eager to get out
and race. Congratulations to J22 1481, Pat Kabris and team on their victory.
(Rumor has it Pat is planning to be around full time next year, so could
this could be the beginning of a streak ? )

Fleet #1 Loses a Friend

As many of you know, in August Cynthia Burns was tragically killed in an
accident.  Cynthia was from Merida, Mexico. Cynthia is survived by her
Husband Matt (regular crew on Defiance J22 699), their son Matthew and their
daughter Andrea.  As we look back on the 2007 season, our thoughts and
prayers go out to Cynthia's and Matt's families.

<http://www.legacy.com/StarTribune/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=92
461173>
http://www.legacy.com/StarTribune/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=924
61173

Thank you

Throughout 2007 we have continued to distinguish ourselves as one of the
leading J22 fleets in the country, Thank you to everyone who sailed with
Fleet # 1 for making this such a great season.

See you Saturday night !

George

burgees

George Hansen