[J22-Fleet 1] ** Postponed - Cool Icebreaker Regatta - Official Notice **

George Hansen george at pcspeed.com
Fri Apr 25 21:50:04 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone. Based on input from a variety of source and given the predicted conditions for this weekend, I have decided to postpone the Dave Cool Ice Breaker Regatta 1 week, to the weekend of May 3 – 4/2008.   This seems to be in everyone’s best interest at this time.  The event remains essentially unchanged – just moved to the new date. Revised NOR is attached and below.    In addition, because of postponement J22 fleet will not be racing A1 on Sunday May 4th afternoon race after cool Regatta.  We will hold our Cool awards ceremony during scheduled WYC race, and then welcome all fleets back to WYC after finish of A1.  Please note NOR times for Sunday May 4th.  We have nearly 20 boats @ WYC ready to race.  Your preparation is a testament to Cool Icebreaker Regatta and conviction of J22 Fleet # 1.  I commend you for your efforts and thnk you for your understanding and flexibility.  I look forward to seeing everyone next weekend under better conditions.  Thank you - George  Revised - Notice of RaceDave Cool Icebreaker Regatta, May 2 – May 3/2008J/22 Fleet #1, Lake Minnetonka, MNRules: This event will be governed by the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS 2005-2008), the prescriptions of U.S. Sailing, this Notice of Race, the rules of the J22 class, except as any of these are changed by the Sailing Instructions, & the Sailing Instructions.The same crew and the same three class sails must be used the entire regatta. There can be substitutions only with the approval of the organizing authority. Yachts (including rudders) may not be removed from the water during the regatta without the approval of the organizing authority. The regatta is classified as a category "C" event. Sailing instructions will be distributed at registration. Eligibility: J/22 Class yachts in compliance with class rules will be scored. Skippers/Owners must show current J/22 Class cards to be eligible to race.Location:The racing area is on Lake Minnetonka, on the Main Lake or in Wayzata Bay.Fees: The entry fee is $75.00. All registration fees are payable prior to 5/3/2008, 9:30AM. Entry fee includes adult refreshments, food & entertainment.Scoring: The Low-Point Scoring System, Appendix A2 of the IYRR, will apply, with six races scheduled of which one shall be completed to constitute a series. Each boat may exclude her worst score if six races have been completed. Trophies: Trophies will be awarded for the top 3 finishers.Inspection & Measurements: All participants are subject to inspection and measurement at any time during the regatta. The organizing authority may, at its discretion, inspect any yacht in order to confirm compliance with the prescribed class rules concerning construction and measurements, safety rules when racing, crew prohibition and restrictions when racing. Class royalty tags must be present on all sails. Crew will be weighed in at registration. Max. crew weight is 605 lbs.Reginstration &Put-in: The crane at Wayzata Yacht Club will be available from 12:00, Noon on Friday 5/2. Only J/22’s registered to race will be able to use the crane. Registration and weigh-in at WYC. Schedule:Friday 5/2 12:00-19:00Registration, put-in at WYC crane, Weigh-In Saturday 5/3 07:30-09:00 Registration09:00 Skippers Meeting at WYC Club House10:30 Warning Signal For Race 1 On the Main Lake unless changed to Wayzata Bay at the skippers meeting and posted on the Notice Board by 0945. Races 2, 3 and 4 to follow back-to-back or as notified at the finish of each race. 4 races are scheduled for Saturday but the PRO may, at his discretion, decide on the number of races depending on time and conditions.  Sunday 5/4 09:30 Warning Signal for the first race of the day. 2 races scheduled.A Warning Signal will not be made on Sunday after approximately 12:30 hours. Contact: George Hansen - george at pcspeed.com - (612) 940-2702 - http://www.wyc.org/j22/cool.htmFrom: George [mailto:george at pcspeed.com]Sent: Fri 4/25/2008 12:58 PMTo: j22 at lists.wyc.org; George HansenCc: board at lists.wyc.orgSubject: ** Update - Cool Icebreaker Regatta **Hello Everyone. Based on input from a variety of source and given the predicted conditions for this weekend, I am considering postponing the Dave Cool Ice Breaker Regatta.   We are potentially facing extreme elements this weekend including temps in the 40’s, near freezing water temperatures, precipitation in the form of rain or snow, and winds predicted at 20+ mph.  While these sound like true icebreaker conditions J, I am not convinced it is in the best interest of the fleet to host the Regatta.   Part of the spirit of the Cool Icebreaker, and one of the great things about the event, is the participation of our fleet.  There is no doubt that the predicted conditions this weekend would reduce participation and that is another important factor in my decision.  I am working with WYC mgmt, race committee, and members of our fleet in making this decision, as these are always difficult decisions to make.     I am heading to WYC now and will make my decision @ 4pm today – the start of Registration.  I will advise the fleet by email list and on WYC RACE Notice Board of final decision either way.  Contact me if you have comments or questions and thank you for your cooperation.   Thank you – George  Current NOAA forecast for Wayzata:Hazardous weather condition(s):Hazardous Weather OutlookThis Afternoon: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm, then showers after 4pm. High near 43. Breezy, with a north northwest wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Tonight: A chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then a chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 18 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. West northwest wind around 17 mph. Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. North northwest wind between 7 and 14 mph. Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. North northwest wind between 6 and 10 mph. Sunday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.   George HansenJ22 Fleet # 1 Captain/WYC BODGeorge at pcspeed.com612-940-2702 cell Join the J22 email list:http://lists.wyc.org/listinfo/j22